1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows media player cpu hog.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by SonGoku21, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

Hey everyone. when i open a media file to play in windows media player, no matter what the file is, the cpu jumps to 100% and everything starts lagging. I used Windows task manager to make sure its windows media player. My O/S is windows 7 ultimate with 8gb ram, and dual core amd athlon each running at 2.50ghz. Now in task manager, under wmp, there are usually 2 tasks open, one is wmpshare, and the other the media player. windows media player usually takes about 40% and wmpshare 30%. I usually end wmpshare to free up the cpu, but its getting annoying to do that everytime. A file that VLC media player can play while running on almost 1% takes windows media 40%. why is this? I keep checking for upgrades from microsoft, but no wmp 13 yet. I only use windows media player because you can choose what device you want the output sound to come out of, either speakers or headphones. If you know how to fix this, or another media player that lets you choose the output device, then i would be really great full. sorry bout the spellin errors and stuff, but its too cold and my fingers move slower when cold.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

no ideas other than to roll back your version of wmp and reinstall with the latest version.i havent used wmp in ages.i use vlc media player.

3. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

you cant reinstall, becausse i dont think u can uninstall, and theres no downloadable version on line, its built into windows.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

5. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

no that worked the first link, i think. i opened up a video, and wmpshare didnt open up, and wmp itself ran under 15%.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I think you can turn off wmp shares in it's settings or somewhere in windows turn off the network share folders

7. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

well i ran the trouble shooter, and it seems to be working ok now. i still will use vlc, as i trust it more than windows media player, and how does one become a senior member? it says i cant post more than 1 post every 3 minutes cuz my status is a newbie.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It's a new thing started only in the last couple of months or so as the place was getting swamped by frak'n spammers,it's also why links are unable to be posted by new members,you'll get to member status in no time it's just a precaution,there is a topic round here that shows what the thing is for each whatever,i only post about 2-3 posts a day so it took i think 3 years to get to senior,the next level..lol.. is afterdawn addict after that comes shareholder...ok not really on the shareholder..that wouldn't be fair to ddp or creaky that'd be like jumping the queue,nup mod would come after ad-addict then admin then you get shareholder status..mwaaaaa

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Newbie to Junior Member -- 25 posts
    Junior Member to Member -- 100 posts
    Member to Senior Member -- 500 posts
    Senior Member to Addict -- 2500 posts
    anyone to Moderator -- determination and bribes to admins
    anyone to Admin -- decent six-figure (euros or dollars, we are not picky) lump sum to AfterDawn's Swiss bank account

Update:
    Posts made in the Safety valve are not taken into account when calculating member levels. Frivilous, repeated posts with the obvious intention of merely increasing the post count will lead to a temporary or permanent suspension of the account.

Update 2:
    News comments do not count towards the member level either.

10. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

no i made 32 posts.

11. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

They always a lil slow when upgrading your status. I was almost a member when my junior member status appeared. I was told somewhere on here a while back, that sometimes it may take up to a week for a status change.

12. SonGoku21

SonGoku21 Member

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

scorpNZ, took me a week less 4 months to get to addict status.

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I make that out at around 208 posts per week..brb..

need to report a spammer :p