1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player in Real Full Screen Size

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by timtak, Apr 8, 2012.

1. timtak

timtak Member

Searching on the web I find few people unhappy with the small size of the WMP (Windows media player) display size. The nearest thread to my woes was here at
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/727662

Is there a way of increasing the size of the video display area in Windows Media player such that the video (without border) fills my screen?

The full screen mode displays the media player window in full screen size, but the video remains in the centre surrounded by a large black border. The border takes up about half or more of the screen area.

This is not an aspect ratio problem, neither the height nor the width are at the limits of the screen size there are black borders at both the top/bottom and to the left right. (Even if it were an aspect ratio problem I would hope for an option to change the aspect ratio or crop parts of the image.)

I think that perhaps the video is at 200% (I have that option selected). I am not sure why I can't increase its size to 300% or 500% or whatever, so that the video fits the size of the screen. Why does full screen size, with fit video to player not play the video at screen size?

Even the most simple video deck or DVD player will display a video at the size of my TV screen even if the original media has a lower resolution.

Tim

2. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

Firstly, stop using WMP and never run it again. ;) Seriously though, I can't help fix your WMP problem as the closest I've come to using it in years is if I manage to accidentally open it, but it does sound like a setting which has gone astray, given in the thread you linked to the OP didn't have the problem one day but did the next. However....

Try using MPC-HC (VLC is another option but I'm more familiar with MPC-HC). When you open a video using MPC-HC it shouldn't display using black bars down the sides unless they're part of the video. Black borders top and bottom wouldn't be unusual though (of course).

When playing a video with MPC-HC you can zoom in on the video in small steps using the "9" key on the numeric keypad. The "1" key zooms out while the "5" key resets it. I often tap the 9 key while watching wide aspect ratio video on my TV to zoom in until the video is filling most or all of the screen.

Of course if you're really keen to only use WMP, feel free to ignore my entire post.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. timtak

timtak Member

Thank you very much. I have VLC in some of my computers but I don't find that all that easy to increase in size either. I will look into MPC-HC.

The thing about WMP is that is in all Windows computers including those that are not my own, so if there were a way of making it display full screen then that would still be of help.

YES! As you say, it displays full screen. Why can't the current version do this!?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I don't know what version of WMP you are using but I have WMP 11 for XP. When I have it in full screen I take my mouse and right click on the edges and move it to fill out the screen. Have you tried that on the one you are using.I can resize it on all four sides if I want.

5. timtak

timtak Member

Thank you JST

That does not seem to work on my WMP. I can't find which version it is but I guess it is Version 12 since it came with Windows 7.

6. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Yeah WMP 12 comes with Windows 7 I don't care for it much. Maybe you can uninstall it and use a WMP 11 instead..