1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows media player will not launch

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by lcarbutt, Sep 27, 2007.

1. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

I am running windows vista home premieum and everything was working fine untill a recent update. WMP got an update and now the damn thing will not even launch. I attempted to do a system restore but it always fails. The old version which always worked was 11.0.6000.6324 the new version which will not even launch is 11.0.6000.6336

I have attempted to launch it from a shortcut icon also by clicking on a wmv file and have attempted to launch it straight from programme files but everytime I get the same results, it attemts to load for a SPLIT second but then does nothing(no error message or anything) I am currently using VLC media player but I would like to get WMP back up and running(mainly because the video section of windows media centre no longer works because of it)

Any help welcome.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Is it opening off screen, like as if you had a WS monitor and opening off to the left or does it not even show as running in your taskbar?

3. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

I right-clicked and selected "Run as Administrator" which worked!! (after I give permission for the action) so then I had the idea of turning off User Account Control altoghether, which worked!!:) It seems that microsofts security system was seeing WMP as a threat!!!!!!!! User Account Control was refusing to allow me to open WMP without even giving me the normal option of allowing it myself manually(the pop up box)

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Another reason I won't be getting Vista anytime soon...if ever. Glad you got it sorted.