1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows media player

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by 320blues, Jun 14, 2007.

1. 320blues

320blues Member

would someone PLEASE tell me how to get rid or windows media player! add/remove programs doesn't do it. nothing seems to. i want to install mpc or gom. it keeps interferring. advise please.
    also-i got rid of wmp 9 and now have 7, but when i click the formats tab it says "registry error".
    thanks

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

The only way to truly/fully get rid of Windows Media Player is to not install it in the first place. To do this one must got a tool called nLite. Basically it creates a customized Windows XP install disc, dont want WMP or Outlook Express installed on your PC? Just uncheck their boxes in nLite and it will take care of it.

A less drastic option would be to go to the "Add-Remove Programs" window and on the left select the tab " Add Remove Windows Components", uncheck the WMP box, hit next, and follow the prompts.

Unless you go the nLite route which requires a reinstall the directiosn above this are your only option.

3. 320blues

320blues Member

thanks. the add/remove programs and add/remove components route doen't work. i've tried it over and over. i was considering just a total reload this w/e. also giving thought to changing from sp4 to sp3. read a bit about that helping speed, etc. not sure. i'll check out nLite and see if i can do that. thanks for the help.