1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Movie Maker Files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by england77, Apr 30, 2004.

1. england77

england77 Guest

Does anyone know how to convert Windows Movie Maker Files so that I can burn them on to DVD-RW?
    Please! I'm struggling!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Whats the outputed file? Movie.xxx and ill let u know

3. england77

england77 Guest

Ithink its .WMM I downloaded from my camcorder on to my harddrive and then used Windows Movie Maker to add titles.....
    Any ideas???

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The only program I know that will accept the .wmv files from Windows Movie Maker is NeroVision Express 2. Iuse it to make DVDs out of them.

I do it like this:

Startsmart> Photo and Video> Make your own DVD> Add Video Files> select .wmv from the "Files of Type" menu.

NVE will add a menu to the output files. I usually put these files into Nero Recode and select the main files only, leaving off the NVE menu. I can also add other DVD clips, animated .gifs, etc at this time. Once thats done, I open the project into DVD Lab and add nice professional looking menus.

I wouldn't use Windows Movie Maker, but it has the best transitions I have found. I like to make multimedia projects using still photo slideshows, camcorder footage, clips from various DVDs and assorted .gifs, .jpgs.

I'm looking for better ways to convert those files so if you find something else let me know!
    edit:
    I might be wrong about the file type I think you might end up with .avi output from WMM. I have a project in there now so I'll output it and let you know.

Cheers,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  5. england77

england77 Guest

Cheers I'll give that a go!!

If I find anything else I'll post it.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I just did a test and here's a correction.... The output from WMM: select "other settings" menu, select DV-AVI and save in My Videos. Close WMM open NeroVision Express 2 as before and browse for the WMM files located in "My Videos".

That seems to work pretty well for me.

7. daba

daba Guest

@ fastfrank :

You can avoid the menu creation with NeroVision Express. In the screen where you import files, click on the button "More" and then untick the checkbox "Menu creation".

@ england77 :

You can turn your WMV files to AVI files with Movie Maker 2. Select the menu "export the video file" then "to my computer" then "DV AVI". You'll get an AVI file that any MPEG encoder will accept. TMPGEnc Plus (50 $) and CCE Basic (60 $) are very good encoders.

Notice that you should save the file as DV AVI (not as WMV files) when capturing from your camcorder. WMV files save space but not image quality...

Then use an authoring tool to build the DVD with the MPEG files:
    - DVDAuthorGui (free)
    - DVD Styler (free)
    - TMPGEnc DVD Author (70 $)
    - DVD-Lab (100 $)

Cheers,

Daba

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2004