1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows no longer plays YouTube videos

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by wm17959, Sep 23, 2012.

1. wm17959

wm17959 Member

Today I formatted my hard drive, something I do every 6 months or so. For some reason I can no longer play YouTube videos with Windows XP Pro 2002. My browser is Explorer 8. It tells me to install the latest version of Flash, which I did, but it still doesn't work. I tried running Google Chrome, but that doesn't work with my operating system. It's really frustrating because the videos played before the formatting. Do I have no option but to buy another computer? Please advise thanks.

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

You may also need to download Javascript and enable it like in the instructions.

Enabling JavaScript in your browser may resolve the situation and help you to successfully play videos on our site.

Ensure that you have JavaScript enabled (turned on) in your browser. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Click the 'Tools' tab in your menu bar (in the top of the browser's window).
    3. A drop-down menu will appear. Click 'Internet Options' (should be located at the bottom of the drop-down menu).
    4. A window will appear. Locate and click the 'Security' tab.
    5. Select and click the 'Internet' icon (looks like the planet Earth).
    6. Click the 'Custom Level' button.
    7. Scroll down the list until you see 'Scripting'. You'll then see various options. Look at 'Active Scripting. Select 'enable' (by clicking) on the circle next to 'Enable'.
    8. Select 'Enable JavaScript' checkbox.
    9. A warning window will appear asking you if you'd like to make the selected changes. Click the 'Ok' button to save your selection. Click the 'Yes' button.
    10. Finally, click the 'Ok' button to save the update