1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows player 9

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by rtrg, Feb 8, 2010.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Is there a REALLY FREE dvd(DECODER) for P9 that will allow playing of dvds? Player 6.4 can do that without downloading anything. Why should P9 be different? I will NOT buy something that should be built into the player? Any info welcome. I tried a number of PACKS that were supposed to do exactly that. They did NOT work.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Try ffdshow, or install MPC (WMP uses an MPC splitter on my computer to decode DVD video).

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

As a newbie I am as always totaly confused. I downloaded FIELD SHOW from your link. Tried P9. New error, "CANNOT CURRENTLY PLAY DVD. TRY REDUCEING RESOLUTION, NUMBER OF COLORS, OR TRY TROUBLE SHOOTER" Troubleshooter is GREEK to me. FIELD SHOW CONFIGURATIONN shows MPEG 2 is DISABLED. CANNOT figure out how to ENABLE it. Help in simple ENGLISH please. MPC is the 6.4 CLASSIC player which I also use. I would like to use P9 to play dvds, but not if it is so complicated.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

In ffdshow, where it says "Disabled" for mpeg2, click on it and choose libvacodec.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I found a page during the set up wizard that allows a multitude of codecs to be enabled. I chose all the various mpegs to be enabled. and finished the wizard. The con figuration page confirmed those choices. The same error mess appeares. Anything else to do?

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

""CANNOT CURRENTLY PLAY DVD. TRY REDUCEING RESOLUTION, NUMBER OF COLORS"..

That does not sound like a codec problem, but more hardware related. Did you try to adjust the display as suggested(colour/resolution?)

Try this:

# Lower video acceleration in Windows Media Player:

1. In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. On the Performance tab, under Video Acceleration, move the slider closer to None, and then click OK.

# Reduce video resolution and color quality in the display settings:

1. In Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display in Category View, or double-click Display in Classic View.
    2. On the Settings tab, move the screen resolution slider to 800 X 600.
    3. Select 16-bit for the color quality, and then click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306318/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I reset color to 16 bit, res to 600x800, which I prefer, acceleration first to "SOME" then to "NONE". Nothing works. I do not want to talk to MS. They are useless.

8. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Why don't you just install and use VLC?
    I'm pretty sure it decodes mpeg-2 using it's own built-in decoders.

9. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I do use VLC. I just do not understand why it is so difficult if not impossible to find a FREE stand alone mpeg 2 codec. There are any number of packs that are supposed to do exactly that. None work. Wmp 6.4 has built in decoders, why not P9?

10. davexnet

davexnet Active member

What 6.4 are you talking about ? mplayer2.exe, the old Windows
    media player? I don't think it can play mpeg-2, not without a
    decoder installed.

The mpeg-2 decoder has to be licensed ($$$) before it can be included.
    Microsoft never included an decoder until Vista premium and Ultimate.
    (Not sure about Windows 7)

I've got an older version of FFDSHOW on my PC; that includes an
    mpeg-2 encoder. Try enabling that in the video decoder config.
    I just tried it, both mplayer2.exe and WMP 9 can use it.

If you're still having issues, open the mpeg-2 file in graphedit
    (render the file) and review the filter graph.
    It may help to explain what's going on.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am using a third party version, GABEST, of wmp 6.4.9.1. It can play all dvds I own, both protected and not. As far as field show is concerned, I tried it with P9, version unknown. I do not understand what you are referring to. I do not speak the jargon. All I can tell you is that I enabled what I think was all the mpeg decoders and still the same error mes. I gave up. I refuse to buy a decoder for what should be included in the player. As far as I am concerned the player is incomplete as designed. Is there a third party reversed engineered version of P9? One that looks and functions like it that INCLUDES ALL decoders needed to be fully functional? And of course for FREE. The GABEST was FREE. If no I will stay with what I have, P9 for the radio and cds, 6.4 and vlc for cds and dvds. Best combination.

12. davexnet

davexnet Active member

enable the encoder in FFDShow, hit "apply" and retry the file
    in WMP 9 (I assume this is what you mean by "P9")

[​IMG]

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The reason why we cannot solve this is because you don't give us the proper info. The freakin' P9 play that you're trying to use most likely is not WMP 9 as you refer to it...
    Provide a download link for that P9 player...

14. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

davexnet--- rtrg here. I did try your advice. The screen responded as it should. However WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 9 from MICROSOFT STILL requirers a DECODER. I gave up on it. WMP 6.4, and VLC do not need any codecs. The only reason I wanted to use P9 was because it also included radio. But if the players need to be separate so be it. Others have made similar suggestions. I should mention that the OS is not a genuine copy. That might mean something. On the other hand there was NO validation requested from any of the codecs I tried from any number of trusted sites. So again I gave up. But I thank you for your help.