1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Startup Repair Reboot.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Animesing, May 14, 2011.

1. Animesing

Animesing Member

Hello, first of all let me say thanks for the help. My problem has been going on for months to the point where I have no idea what to do now. I have a computer where I thought the RAM or HDD was damaged or messed up and whenever I would fresh install Win7 from a formatted HDD that it was get corrupted in a min and get stuck at keep going to startup repair everytime. I did memory diagnostic on the RAM and there was no problems. Then I did a chkdsk and it said there was no problem, but the problem still acted up. Then I took another HDD from a computer that was working and switched it out then I got the same problem again. Then I put back the old HDD and switched out the RAM from another computer and tried it. Same problem. Then I switched both, so there was a different HDD and RAM and when i reinstalled Win7, the problem occured when I restarted comp. I have done everything from resetting the BIOS from the battery. I don't know what else to do now. I can't go into safe mode either.

2. Animesing

Animesing Member

also one quick thing I noticed is when I try to install win7 back on the machine, it takes forever to initialize it. When I go to click install windows and it say 'setup is starting' or something like that, it sits there and hangs for about 5-10 min before I go to the next step.

3. Animesing

Animesing Member

Once I do the initial install and it goes to restart the computer to continue the install it brings up an error that says

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Windows failed to load because system registry file is missing or corrupted.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you try another dvd drive? is the cpu setup properly in the bios? what is the cpu temperature during this time?

5. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

If you've tested & checked the hard drive, and RAM for errors, and they're coming back clean, then I might think there is something wrong with your copy of WINDOWS. You might want to format that hard drive fully using another machine, and attempt to do a fresh install again. Where did you get this version of WINDOWS, is it a retail copy, OEM copy (CD that came with purchase of new PC?) or a downloaded copy?

Also could be a bios setting or something such as ddp said. How old is the motherboard, make/model/specs? Your bios will tell you CPU temps, memory available/detected, hard drive detected, etc... you need to look there first to see if something isn't right.

You could also clear the cmos on the motherboard, then try to do a fresh install. Remove the battery from the motherboard, wait 5 or so minutes, then replace, or you can move a jumper around, you will probably need your M/B manual to determine which jumper needs to be move to clear the cmos (google it if you don't know what that is).