1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows update problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ozy, Feb 17, 2005.

1. ozy

ozy Regular member

Our office is running a small network, external firewall, 2 x 8 port ethernet hubs with internet from a proxy server address and port. The problem is none of the PC's can get automatic windows updates anymore nor manual ones. The only way it works fine is by using dialup internet to bypass the proxy. If I try a manual download straight from the update site it will let me know how many updates are needed to be installed but when I click on install updates every single one fails to download. I'm no IT professional but can follow instructions quite well if someone can quide me in the right direction. I have a feeling that windows updates do not like proxy servers but will view the link ok so when you try to download it wants to revert back to dialup settings. Is there someway to edit proxy setting on each PC for this to work successfully?

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

What OS are you using? If it is an NT derivative - 2K or XP, then you need to be an administrator to update the PC, which is why it will not let you.

3. ozy

ozy Regular member

I fixed the windows updates by typing proxycfg -u in command prompt. Works fine now. All I need to do is figure out why our antivirus clients won't update automatically.

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Excellent - considering you are not an IT pro - how did you find out about the Windows Proxy Config Tool. I am impressed!

5. ozy

ozy Regular member

Alot of google searching and reading. Persistence pays off once again! Thanks for your help all the same.