1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Updates / Your adivice please

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by gerry1, Dec 15, 2005.

1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Howdy all. My computer is an HP pavillion A250N running on XP. A couple of weeks ago, I had to do a destructive recovery, reload programs etc. etc. I run Norton Internet Security Professional 2005. At any rate, after doing the recovery, my system is prompting me for windows updates if I want to install them. Question is, do I? They gave me quite a few headaches last time. Should I install the updates or am I safe enough with the Nortion Internet Security Professional? Last time I installed the updates, I had to turn all the security off anyway as it really interfered with the Norton. Any advice? Thanks All!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

which sp package are you using as in sp1 or 2?

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

It would be sp1; I remember having downloaded service pack 2 at a later date. It was when I downloaded sp 2 that I started having some headaches although I finally did resolve them all. Would rather not deal with it if it isn't essential, yet, I don't want to put myself in a position where I'm asking for trouble ... if memory serves, sp 2 came about from security issues but I turned off all the security features as it raised hell with my Norton. Thanks for the reply! ... Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2005
  4. ddp

when i do updates on customers' computers, i select custom not express so can select what updates i do want. sp2 has the ms firewall in it.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Indeed it does; that's when I started having all the problems with my norton. I've never done a custom before but perhaps I should at least take a look and leave the firewall and perhaps the antivirus out. I'll take a look.

6. ddp

ms doesn't have anti-virus, just anti-spyware.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks ddp! I'll download and take a look at what's there before installing. I may come back with another question or two if you would be so kind; I'm obviously no pro here! Thanks again.

8. ddp

no problem.

9. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

I would sugest against picking and choosing what to or not to install. They are critical updates to patch holes oexploits, and just trying to judge by the name will not work, unless you read the KB article associated with each update.

10. ikara

ikara Member

I held off updating to XP2 fo a long time after it was released, I then got feedback from some other people about how they went.
    Some had problems some didn't. In the end I decided that for security reasons it would be wise to take the chance.
    I prepared myself by giving my system a torough clean-up with Anti-virus, malware, & Adware programs. plus all the general stuff that cleans out un-necessary files etc. then did a complete de-frag.
    Next I disabled all start-up programs outside XP, then I did the SP2 update. I had no problems at all. I am glad I did it. I have disabled the XP firewall since I use ZoneAlarm instead. I notice that Norton caused problems for a lot of people. I don't know why.
    But I am convinced it is best to keep XP up to date.
    Now I have made an updated version of my XP install disk by streamlining XP2 onto it. So I do not have to update again if I re-install. MS explains how on there site.

11. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

GOOD JOB ...IKARA
    I repair PC's for a living and every PC , no matter what it was in for gets the OS updated before it goes back to the customer. I have updated every XP machine to SP2. The only crash and burn SP2 updates are the ones the customers do on infected machines.

12. ikara

ikara Member

I am glad there are people like you on this forum DVDBURNUP.
    I started learning about PC about 10 years ago. I am just a user.
    I left work in the computer business in 1980. I never considered it as a home hobby then. If I had realised what would happen with the PC I would have stayed in the business.
    I remember how confusing it was for me in the beginning, even though I had some computer knowledge. So I understand Newbie's being frustrated. Plus some people hate to admit they need help.
    But all the way trough my experience I have found that updates were helpful, and as you said problems with them were usually caused by software virus or hardware faults. To be a good PC user takes a good memory, the kids definitly have the advantage there.