1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista or Linux?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by NeoLance, Feb 19, 2007.

1. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Ok I was reading up about Linux and thought that is was pretty cool. Right now I have a Sony Vaio, with Windows XP. Would it be possible to download Linux to use for the computer? And also, which is better? I read that Linux is more stable than Windows, but I am not sure if this is true. My mom was talking to some computer guy and he was saying that we should not get Linux because if there is a problem with it we won't find anybody to come and fix the problem. I am new to all of this computer stuff so I am not sure... And if I had Linux would I be able to still use the AOL software and the word processors and everything? The thing I am thinking though is if Linux is the better software to get, how come you can download it for free and Windows Vista costs money to buy? If you guys think Linux would be the better choice, can you send me to a reliable download site that people use a lot? Thanks in advance.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

take a look at this

About Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a free, open source Linux-based operating system that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release (and with 6.06 LTS you get 3 years on the desktop and 5 on the server!). Ubuntu ships with the latest GNOME release as well as a selection of server and desktop software that makes for a comfortable desktop experience off a single installation CD.

What makes Ubuntu special? Why do people choose Ubuntu as their favourite OS for work and play?

Absolutely Free of Charge

Ubuntu is Free Software, and available to you free of charge. It's also Free in the sense of giving you rights of Software Freedom, but you probably knew that already! Unlike many of the other commercial distributions in the free and open source world, the Ubuntu team really does believe that Free software should be free of software licencing charges.
    Fast, Easy Install

Ubuntu has a fast and easy graphical installer right on the Desktop CD, which is also a Live CD. We have kept the distribution installation CD set down to one single CD, everything else is available online if you need it. On a typical computer, the Ubuntu installation should be done in less than 25 minutes.

Best of all, you will only ever need to use it once, because we support ongoing upgrades via the network, from version to version. You never need to reinstall the operating system, just upgrade from each released version to the next when you want to.

And if you use Ubuntu on the server, we haven't forgotten you. Ubuntu includes a nice, easy text installer and even has a one click LAMP install option!
    Immediately Useful

When you finish your Ubuntu installation your system is immediately usable. On the desktop you have a full set of business productivity applications, internet applications, drawing and graphics applications, and games. Or for the server you get just what you need to get up and running, with nothing you don't. There are thousands of additional pieces of software that are just a few clicks away, but we've done the hard work to get the basics in place easily and effectively.

go here to read more and download
    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

main site
    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/herd2

3. O_C_FReaK

O_C_FReaK Member

I agree with ireland.What I would like to add is though Vista has all those nice candy-eye features and its flexibility as an OS unless you want to play with the upcoming future games,that support DirectX 10,there isn't really a real reason to buy Vista.Also,if you install Ubuntu you can find plenty of support about any problems/troubleshooting in forums such as afterdawn's forums or in official sites so don't worry(I think the technician your mom asked probably wants to promote Vista or he has no knowledge of how Ubuntu works as an OS).Finally,if,in the future,you wish to install Vista and have already Ubuntu installed you just need to make a separate partition where Vista will be installed(for more on partitions and what they are go here ---> Disk Partition ).

Hope I was helpful! :-D

4. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I understand that I could keep my Windows XP software and use the Ubuntu software on the side right? So how would that work would I just click start and choose which environment I would want to use? I am about to read up on the partition article, thanks for your help. And is that the easiest Linux software to use?

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Fedora and Ubuntu to incorporate Kernel-based virtualization

2/19/2007 1:59:18 PM, by Ryan Paul

The latest release of the Linux kernel, 2.6.20, includes integrated virtualization capabilities with the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM). The KVM kernel module, the development of which was largely sponsored by start-up tech company Qumranet, leverages x86 virtualization extensions included in various Intel and AMD processors. Several distributions, including Ubuntu and Fedora, are already preparing to include the KVM kernel module in upcoming releases.

LINK TO ARTICLE
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/59/295688#2841397

6. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

I have absolutely no clue what you just said... I have been doing a little more posting on weightlifting forums, but I will read the article and try to make some sense of it. Any other advice for a new Linux user would be appreciated, with a broken arm I need a new challenge other than weightlifting for a while.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Real linux advice.. Not ubuntu! Mandriva 2006 with ndiswrapper for your hardware.

8. O_C_FReaK

O_C_FReaK Member

OK sorry for the...weighlifting :-D.Thought you would understand.My mistake.Well,let me explain in simple words what is a partition.

Imagine that a Hard Drive's space is a box.And imagine your OS(aka Operating System like Windows XP or Ubuntu) that is an object...say a white spot ball(Ubuntu).Now,if we divide the space of the box in two with a standoff you have one box yet you have divided the box in two parts with each part comprising of half the box's space.Now,there is one part with the white spot ball and another one empty.The other empty part can be filled with a black spot ball(Windows Vista) or fill it with other objects or leaving it empty.In this way,you can put several standoffs to seperate the space of the big box into smaller...boxes.

I hope that this example,without the technicalities involved,will help you.

9. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Thank you very much, I understand now. I didn't know but my mom knew a little about this stuff so she would be able to help me out, but she said that we don't have enough room on our hard drive to do that because the computer is a couple years old. She said we wouldn't be able to fit both of the OS on the computer, so I would have to compromise Windows XP for Ubuntu, and this may not be an option because that would make it harder for my family to use. Is she right about the hard drive though? Is there a way I can tell how much space I have or be able to tell you something about my computer that should determine whether I have enough space for the partition of the two OS, Windows XP and Ubuntu on my computer? Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it.

10. O_C_FReaK

O_C_FReaK Member

Well,you can tell me the Hard Drive's capacity.If I remember well,Windows XP needs 4GB with at least 2GB free space whereas Windows Vista(Applies to all editions of Vista I think) need a whopping "40GB hard drive with at least 15GB of available space" ---> see Windows Vista Requirements.Anyway,if you choose Vista I suggest you purchase a new Hard Drive as it may not be able to cope with older Hard Drive speeds(same goes for RAM and other components).For Ubuntu,I think you will be OK however consult the official site for the OS's requirements ---> see Ubuntu Official Site.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  11. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

So do you think that my computer (Sony Vaio PCV-RS 312V [whatever that means] with Windows XP should be able to support a partition of Windows XP and Ubuntu no problem? My mom wiped out the computer and deleted everything off of the computer today but she said that wouldn't delete or clean everything off of the hard drive... So I am just not sure. I will check the requirements for Ubuntu though right now... Thanks.

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If you put Ubuntu on there, you might as well turn off your windows firewall while you're at it...
    In short, install ANYTHING BUT UBUNTU.
    /me goes back into hiding, hoping to have saved one more n00b from the horrors of U(bum)tu

[edit] an while i'm still here, we DO have a linux forum with gudes on this kind of stuff, you know...[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  13. ireland

ireland Active member

[​IMG]

The_Fiend

welcome back

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007