1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows vista strange problem admin rights

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by myksterx, Nov 26, 2013.

1. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

hi first of all, i would say i am pretty clued up on computers.

second of all, i know vista is totally a waste of time, but lack of time at the moment with purchasing and renovating new home i cannot install better os.

now, i have had my pc from new, decent spec for what i need. media center hub. stored files shared throughout house.

ok, i am logged into administrator account.
    i have it set to auto login i done this about 2 years ago.

for some reason, i have just attempted to update firefox.
    when i downloaded .exe, upon running it says i do not have the admin rights.

"run as" box pops up, with username as administrator and password blank.

ok

my account i am doing this on is called "Mike" and this is the administrator account.

i cannot remember my password, for the life of me, ive inputted 6 of my most common, and it still will not work.

i have absolutely no IDEA whatsoever what the password is.
    i am hoping this is the right place to get help because i dont have the time to search the web for stuff when this is a genuine csae.

i will explain why i dont have time, i am currently sat here in freezing condition in my grandparents house, i cannot stand the cold and my fingers are falling off :) (yes laugh it up) - so i need a quick fix just to retreive this passwrd without burning cds etc./

reason why not burning a cd n booting cd?

because its connected to my TV via hdmi.
    and i dont know why, but it will not show me the MSDOS startup where it says ESC or f5 or f12 etc

to boot via disc..

so i dont know what to press

so i just want to have this password in black and white infront of me.
    so i can change it to a passsword that i will remember, yes i will remember it this time 100%

so i do not have this in the future because i am actually fuming right now

any help what so ever would help this cold, angry, but calm (at present) lad and make his day feel so much better!

please? :(

mike

2. attar

attar Senior member

When you set it up originally, you never filled in the 'Hint' for the password?

3. myksterx

myksterx Regular member

i did yes i always do i have no idea why it has done this..

anyhow..

when i restart pc i still login automatically so im ok with thsi

i right clicked the installation file and ran as admin and it done the trick

its never done this before

so once ive finished moving house i will get onto instaling fresh newer OS rather than this vista ive been meaning to replace it for some time now!

4. attar

attar Senior member

You can logoff from the Start Menu then login and it will prompt for the pass.
    When it gets the wrong one it offers the hint.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check to see if your uac is still on & if so than turn it off, restart windows & see if still having a problem.