1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows vista ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by nate2005, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

Hello everyone, I am gettin a copy of windows vista ultimate tommorw through my pc class. I was wonderin if I am able to partion a part of my hard drive and run like a dual boot with vista and than professional?? or where there be conflicts?? i have a 250gb hard drive so if i can do it hopefully its big enough. Also has anyone heard anything good or bad about vistas ultimate version??? any info on this would be grealty appreciated.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

To create a partition there are a couple of ways. I will try to explain it using the user interface instead of trying to give you instructions using the command prompt.

You need to be the administrator on your machine before doing this.

1) Open the control panel
    2) Select performance and maintenance
    3) Select Administrative Tools
    4) double click computer management
    5) select Disk Management located under storage in the tree. On the right hand side of the box you will see your drives listed.
    6) Right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk, and then click New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition, and then click New Logical Drive.
    7) In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

Notes:

You can create primary partitions, extended partitions, and logical drives only on basic disks. You should create basic volumes instead of dynamic volumes if this computer also runs MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows XP Home Edition.
    On a master boot record (MBR) disk, you can create up to four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended partition.
    On a GUID partition table (GPT) disk, you can create up to 128 primary partitions

3. touran22

touran22 Regular member

ok first WHEN DID VISTA COME OUT!
    2. after youve doen the partion how do u boot inot vista or xp on startup?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

vista is out for businesses and such. it's not going to be widely available for the private sector for a little while yet.

upon startup, you'll get a window to chose which OS you want to boot with.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

touran22-
    I think Vista just came out, however, I believe that many people were able to get early versions of the OS for testing. For example, my father is a member of MSDN and always gets software at least a year before it is released. I have also heard that Vista only allows two installs on the same computer. With XP you could always call to get your license updated. I am not 100% sure about that but myself and many other people that I associate with said that they will stick with XP for a while and if all else fails, we are going to switch to Linux.

I only had two operating systems on my machine once before. If you are going to install Vista on a partition you should have the older OS on first. Vista uses a different set of parameters for start up. Basically when you start your machine it should notice that there are two MBR's. It should give you the option of which OS you would like to start. If it does not then when you are starting the computer you can press F8 and it will bring up the option to select the OS you would like to boot to.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  6. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Hold on, I thought Vista came out after christmas :( where can u get vista from early?

7. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

syxguns so if i follow those instructions you gave me that will allow me to run both vista and xp pro on dual boot correct? i know it will prompt me on start up which os i wana use. im at school right now so i will do that when i get home. i am able to get vista early because i belong to this servicing class at college and they already have some of the vista's so im gona get one today.

8. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

syxguns also when i load vista on my pc once you put the disc in doesnt it give you a choice if you want to do a fresh install or partition it and run dual boot??

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

nate2005
    After the HD is partitioned and you put Vista in it will show you a screen of drives to place the OS. Format that partition and put the OS on there.

And to answer the first question.
    It will work as long as you are doing the partition in XP. In other words, let's say you had Vista on a system and created a partition. Because the master boot records (MBR) are different on each OS I don't think that it will work. I would have to do a little research to find out.

10. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok well im gona give it a try in a little bit and ill see what happens. Ill post back up once i have done it and tell you how its going.

11. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

It's probably going to be noting but trouble, especially because it cripples a lot of the day-to-day activities that a lot of not most computer users do. You have to understand that the reason for the existence of Vista is not to make the computer user's life easier; it's an answer to pleas by content creators to eliminate music and video piracy. Unfortunately, since Vista nor any other computer program has yet to be able to think, it also interferes with legitimate activities as well.

The other primary purpose of Vista, and all TCA-based OS', is to ensure a continuous revenue stream via the issuance of software licenses (or to shut out unwanted competitors). When fully implemented, TCA calls for the running only of signed, "authorized" software with properly-issued certificates. The theory is that this will prevent "unauthorized" software such as malware to run. The problem is that nearly all of the spyware and adware that has plagued the public for the last decade HAS been signed software: specifically, signed ActiveX controls used in "drive-by downloads", such as 180solutions, Comet Cursor, and hundreds of variants of IE toolbar hijackers.

In any case, there's quite a thread on it at:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/308662

Bear in mind that, as it's a new OS and is running untested code, it is far less secure than any other OS in existence. In short, don't even think of going with Vista right now. And, since you can do pretty much everything with third-party software e.g. drive encryption, and better too, there is no need to downgrade even once the kinks start to get worked out.

12. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

syxguns i tried ur directions about partition and i cant find some of the things you have down. i get to step 3 and than i dont see that file. whats some other way i can do it??

13. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok syxguns, im stuck on step 6 i dont know what it means by right-click an unallocated region of a basic disk? it shows my hard drive and says disk 0. now i only have 1 hard drive just to let you know. It says do i want to convert it to dynamic disk, cuz i right click where it said disk 0 and it popped that up. so on that log thing it says the drive letter the size of my hard drive and NTFS. so where do i go from there. I had to find that disk managemnt through a different way. well anywayz when u get a chance im stuck and pullin my hair out tryin to figure this out.

14. syxguns

syxguns Active member

nate2005
    There is another free way to do it, but before you do make sure to back up your files. If you use Windows XP Installation disk you have the opportunity to create a partition there. Doing this might risk the loss of some information. I would suggest using Partition Magic 8.0. I found a site where you may download it for only 19.99. That is a great price because it is worth about 45 bucks.

Here is the site: http://www.satellite-store.net/p22/Par-2.dwt
    As I was doing a little searching I found another site where the guy explains how to use partition magic. Go here: http://lifehacker.com/software/top/...-boot-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-179906.php

Good luck, and like I said go ahead and make a backup of your system just in case you loose information.

15. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

if i put windows xp pro disc in do i just go as fas partition and than quit the setup or somthing. Cant i do the same thing with the vista disc aswell? doesnt it usually give u an option to partition ur hardrive on the installation disc of vista??

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, Vista runs on a different start up system. Read that article I posted above and in the first couple of paragraphs he explains how the two OS systems differ. You will pretty much need to partition your drive in XP.

17. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok i cant read it right this second because im headin out the door in a minute to school but i understand what you mean. The only thing is, so if i put the windows professional disc in i know it asks me to partition sometime during the instal. My question is once i get to that point and partition it what do i do after that. DO i quit the setup or what??

18. syxguns

syxguns Active member

19. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

i tried that bootit and it doesnt work for my os. if i would use a trial version of partition magic, would it work or does it not let me do it with the trial version??

20. syxguns

syxguns Active member

nate2005-
    I'm not sure if partition magic has a trial period. If you can wait until tomorrow I will have you PM me and I can possibly get a copy for you. I'm not 100% sure if it will work but I can try it if you don't want to spend 20 dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.