1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows vista ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by nate2005, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

im not sure either, i downloaded something i think its a trial version. i just googled partion magic and it came up and i downloaded it. I can wait till tommorw if you cant help out tonight. i have school tommorw but when i get back home ill be on so if im on and ur on we can work sumthen out.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

3. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

thats the one i had of partiton magic, however my friend has a key hes gona let me use. How do i put that key into partion magic??

4. kealvalro

kealvalro Guest

is windows vista any better then xp.coz i am trying to install mac osx instead.if vista is good then i would get a copy too.but where can we buy it.like that user said isn't it out after christmas.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

nate2005-
    I think that when you start the program it will ask you for a key. If you do not have a key you will only be able to view it. All of the features will not be available to you. That is why I was hoping that on the one site I gave you that you would be able to download the partition magic 7 free of charge.

What about the other site that I mentioned that had a different free partition software? Did that one work?

kealvalro-
    I have heard of a few people getting beta programs of Vista, and schools getting copies of the software. You may be able to do a search and find a beta copy. Just take my advice and copy it to your HD, partition your machine, and put it on as a separate OS. I have heard a few bad things about it. Of course I have also heard that it is pretty. I don't think that I am going to switch to Vista. If I get old with XP Pro then I am going to switch to Linux.

6. SDub

SDub Member

Hey, new guy here I am currently using Vista right now and first it is a very dominate program!!!! It doesn't like alot of my programs. For example Webroot Spyware- doesn't like, manufacture updates like the ones I get from Toshiba, Vista doesn't like it. I use a aircard to get online Vista treats it like a threat. It removed my windows movie maker and my Windows Frontage. It looks nice but it is picky.

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

SDub-
    That is why I tell people to partition their drive before they use it. There are a lot of little problems with the OS. I think that Microsoft only allows you to use the OS two times on the same machine. I am not sure about that, but I have heard a lot of horror stories. My suggestion to most people is to wait until the system has the necessary updates and functions properly before getting it.

Keep in mind that Microsoft has made errors before. ME was a piece of cr*!@! Even XP when it first came out was vulnerable. And above all don't forget Internet Explorer! they just recently got it protected. I will have to admit that even with IE 7 I am still not happy. It moves too slow. Everyone wants on the bandwagon but if you wait you will get the more secure system that has the functionality to work with all of the programs that we are familiar with.

8. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

syxguns
    when i open up partions magic 8 it doesnt give me the option to put the key in. That what i was stumpped about cuz usually it gives u the option to put the key in. Is there a different way to do it?? or can i get partition magic 7 for free?? the other one you referred me to doesnt work. when i got ready to use that one it kept sayin doesnt support my os, which is kinda bizzare.

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

10. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ok ill give those links a look at a little later on today, im still at school right now. as far as the partiton magic i tried all of that already and that didnt work either. i think i might just try to find some other one instead. My teacher also told me about one im gona give a try a little later aswell. ill post back and let you know whats goin on with it.

11. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

ive tried everything, nothen will work, i think im just gona give it up. its not worth all of this hassle. unless u wana pm me and we can try to figure this out

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Okay, here is the last option that you have since you can't seem to get the partition program to work for you. XP will allow you to partition your drive. First make sure to backup all of your important information. You shouldn't loose any programs, but they will be listed under another user. That will take some copy and paste. Put in your XP disk and you are going to reinstall the OS. Remember to keep all files in the process. There is an area when you start to reinstall where it gives you the option to create a partition. You can create a partition this way, and reinstall XP. Then put in Vista and install on the second partition. Like I said, you will loose information when you do this so make sure to make a backup of any important information.

13. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

im gona go ahead and do it that way. I dont have much important things on it whats important i already transfered over to my laptop. So im basically gona throw my xp disc in, load it up and reinstall xp, and than when it asks me to partition i do that and partition it, and than reinstall xp and than throw vista on the other partition did i follow that correctly?? now if i followed that correctly how do i get all my programs back like where do i find them at?? ill go ahead and do this a little later once you write back for i know im sure on this.

14. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, I must admit that I have never done this when I was partitioning the drive. Normally when or if I do a reinstall on XP I tell it to keep all files intact. Then when the new OS is on I have to go to c:\Documents and Settings\ and there will be a list of all users on the machine. As long as you are logged on as Administrator you should be able to open each user. For safety sake I am telling you to copy and past.

For example lets say I open c:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Start Menu\Programs I will have a list of programs that were on the computer for the other user. Press Edit-> Select All (this will select all of the programs listed). Now press Edit-> Copy (this will copy all of the programs selected).

Now go to the same place under the new user name and press Edit-> Paste (this will past all of the programs from the other user). You also have a folder called Desktop. You may copy and past all of these items also. Now because you are a new user, the program may still ask for a product key, but you do not have to reinstall it.

I hope all works out for you. Most of the time hard drives are meant to be partitioned when they are new. Normally you can do this using the DOS command Fdisk. I hope you will be able to keep all of your programs intact. That is the beautiful thing about Partition Magic. It will partition the drive without loss of information.

15. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

well come to find out after all of this the copy i have is a beta version. So since ive had all of this trouble and im kinda leary on posibly losing data and files and stuff. I think im gona wait till the final version of vista. Someone had told me the copy i had was a final release but come to find out its beta. So i dont really want to go through all the hassle on possibly loosing all my stuff to put a beta version on here. thanx for all your help though i really appreciate it and sorry for the inconvinence

16. syxguns

syxguns Active member

There was not any inconvenience. Look at it this way. When you finally have the full version of Vista you will know how to partition your drive. I would suggest Partition Magic to keep from losing data.

17. nate2005

nate2005 Regular member

yea thats true ill possibly need help on that when the time comes who knows though. thanx for all your help and when I do install the full version of it if i have any problems ill come ask you. Thanx again for ur help everyone on this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.