1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows vista won't read drives

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cw16496, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cw16496

cw16496 Member

ok i have windows vista, and both of my cd-rom drives were working good until about a week ago, now i go into device manager and their is an exclamation point next to them, when i click on more info it says windows cannot load this device due to an error in the registry, i run regcure and it came back and said my registry is fine, what the hell is wrong with them, they won't read disk, but they will open and close, when i put in a disk in their it starts spinning and everything, but nothing happens, both of my drives don't show up in my computer, please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Strange that you have had no answers.
    The drivers for them have become lost (or just possibly that pile of drm garbage called vista has decided that you have been using them for "unauthorised purposes")

You can try the xp fix, namely uninstalling both drives in device manager, then rebooting and letting it find them again.If that doesn't work you can physically unplug them.. reboot, let it find that they are gone.. shutdown and reconnect, then reboot again.. each time running that registry fixer whatever it is.

Dunno why it takes a *nix user to come along and try to help. Just possibly all the people who think vista is great don't know enough about OS and hardware interaction to have any ideas.

3. SSSJDanny

SSSJDanny Member

You know what I just got that problem, but i reset my PC and checked in the Bios to see if it was there and it was.

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ SSSJDanny

If you find the solution please post it so we can help others with this problem.. Thanks.

5. SnprSlick

SnprSlick Member

I am also plagued with this problem.
    I have a dual boot of XP and vista and the XP shows the disks but Vista does not.

6. cw16496

cw16496 Member

i fixed my problem, it was a registy key error, go to microsoft.com and click on help and type in the problem, all you have to do is remove 3 of the registy things and it works fine, good luck

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member