1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows vista won't startup, virus?

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by krntomboy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. krntomboy

krntomboy Member

Hi.
    I REALLY need help. My other desktop won't startup literally. When i start it, a blue screen comes up
    then the black screen w/ the loading bar comes, but the black screen has a whole bunch of blue lines going up and down. The thing is, the blue screen w/ the HP sign never comes up, and after the black screen, it just goes to the startup error window.
    I've already tried to restore it and i've done a full recovery, but the same thing keeps happening.

Can anyone help? Is my computer useless now, or is there anything i can do to fix it?

pix all in order from start up to the error menu.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

With windows, the first thing I would do is a chkdsk c: /f. If you have any system file corruption it would cause windows not to start. For this you need a "bartpe" bootcd (you need the bartpe free software and your windows installation cd to make one). This bartpe bootcd will bootup your computer and let you run the command line to run the chkdsk command. The chkdsk c: /f has fix my computer everytime and made it bootable again, it's a very powerful command. System file corruption usually occurs during power outages or when you do an abnormal shutdown.

If you have a linux live cd, see if that will bootup your computer, that will test your hardware side, if the linux livecd can't work on your computer then there might be some hardware issues.

This doesn't look a virus problem, more than likely a file corruption problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  3. varnull

varnull Guest

BUT.. jony.. every post I see you make you are banging on about "bartpe".. BIG PROBLEM.. if these people had an install disk hey wouldn't need to try recovering the busted OS and would just reinstall from the installation disk. Fista doesn't come with an install disk 99% of the time. What people really need in this situation is either "techies tools v4" or a proper set of recovery disks that they made as soon as they got the machine.. But who ever does that? Nobody tells them they need to do it, and with fista being such an unstable lump of crap it's keeping repairers in business reinstalling it all the time..

OP.. afaik without a vista install disk or a set of backup disks you have no way to repair this. Consult the place you bought it or the manufacturers website.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

From what the screen shows, the scandisk isn't getting completed. Sometimes it needs to be run from a bootcd. The hard drive can be slaved into another computer or external enclosure and run from there. A bartpe isn't required but makes it easier.

I always recommend a chkdsk be done first before anything else on a hard drive that doesn't bootup for no reason. It's a quick fix. If that doesn't work then move to the more complicated fixes.

I also suspect maybe a video card problem because of the strange lines on the screen. That's where a linux livecd might come in handy. It'll load an operating system without touching the hard drive. If linux works fine, maybe the windows vga drivers got corrupted.

The MBR/bootloader seems to be working ok, it starts the boot cycle and stops at then same place everytime.