1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mike1990, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mike1990

mike1990 Member

hi, i was just about to go to the store and buy Windows Vista because of all the great things i heard about it when it hit me. I didn't know if i meet the requirements.

I have a:
    Compaq Presario S4100NX
    2.5 GHZ
    256 mb
    80 GB hard drive
    have internet, dvd drive, and everything. I pass everything with flying colors except for the 256 mb i need 512.
    Is their any way in which i can still run it.

2. mike1990

mike1990 Member

sorry
    256 RAM MEMORY I NEED 512 RAM MEMORY CAN I STILL RUN IT

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

4 points:

1.) Don't use Vista.

2.) Don't use Vista.

3.) *if* you manage to get it to work, it will run like an obese, elderly paraplegic on a bad day.

4.) Don't use Vista.

read the thread Thoughts on Vista. if you still want to use it, then you haven't read enough.

4. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

today i bought my new laptop which has vista, lets just say that my task manager uses 677mb right now with only aim/mozilla open out of the 2 gb that came with it. i'd say wait a little bit, read what people have to say from experiance and decide at that time

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the beautiful thing is that you can always go back to XP and experience a performance gain.

6. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

yea but for example if i did that all my accessories that came with the computer wouldnt be there anymore, it would be like a new hard drive

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I like new hard drives.

8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Auslander am I reading you right,your not a fan of Vista? IMOHo I think it's neat for everyone to own but us. My thoughts are it'd be like having two ex wives instead of one.maybe down the road a year or so from now possibly but what MS is doing with their pricing and limitations on Vista and the new Office, i have no temptations. I switched from MS office to Open office with no regrets except the money I paid MS for office.I like the XP but still think 2000 was the greatest proggy except for the driver issue. But it keeps a clean machine without a lot of extra garbage. Chris

GrandpaBW I also like new hard drives.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  9. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

i do too, but it be a sham for example if i installed my windows home on this computer to lose my webcam, and all the little short cut keys and all the free software that came with the computer, they both have their advantages and disadvantages i suppose

10. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

11. mike1990

mike1990 Member

that gave me alot to think about. I will wait like a week or two and get peoples opinion about it. Then i will make my decision. But if i say yes can i still install it even thought i need 512 mb of ram and i only have 256 mb

12. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

mike1990 all the reading I've done and inthat thread i gave you the link to,all reports i've read says Vista uses about 660 mb of ram for just normal function and somebody correct me if I'm wrong the drm is going to stop the backing up of your DVD's I'd say you actually are going to need at least a gig of ram and a lot of the sound cards Video cards at this point aren't Vista compatible . With what you've got if I was going to make the switch I'd wait a month and see what pops up in that Vista thread. This is in my own opinion. Chris

13. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Vista will not run steadily *or not at all sometimes* with less then 1GB of RAM, and Vista Ultimate won't run with under 2GB of RAM, and doesn't even start running nicely *full speed* with anything short of 3GB of RAM.
    Taking that, the fact that most AVS software is still unsupported to a big extent, and further issues into account, the verdict is simple :
    VISTA SUCKS. Microsoft can go and stick it where the sun don't shine as far as i'm concerned.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

mike, wait for a few months to see what other people think of vista once they get it but in the meantime get more ram!!

15. mike1990

mike1990 Member

dont worry ddp i will get alot more ram but for know im going to wait until Windows can fix Vista up.

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

my m8s got vi$ta running with 1.25gb of ram and its as fast as mine on xp with a gig of ram. our rigs are almost the same other wise.

sucks for games tho :)

17. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

hey just for some feed back cuz i have win. vista. the o/s isnt that much different. at first i didnt like how it was set up, but u grow into it. there are plenty of software i havent touched on my laptop. for games i tried to play battlefield 2, it connected online but it would kick me out but i solved that problem by the administrator play. i have 2 gigs of ram and the computer uses about 400-550mb but havent seen it jump over 700mb of ram. i'm really satisfied with the computer/vista. if ur interested this is my computer and ihope this helps you decide http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ategoryId=pcmcat103700050046&id=1166236072092

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007