1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by nuttyniz, Sep 15, 2010.

1. nuttyniz

nuttyniz Member

HELP!!!!!
    I own a Canon MD101 mini DV camcorder and have for around 3 years with no problems. My problem is i have updated my computer from an XP system to a Vista home basic System. The problem is Vista will not recognise my camcorder yet XP would so i am unable to download and edit it. I have purchased a Firewire to USB lead from a well known internet auction site as my laptop does not have this facility. My question is simple is it the wire? Should i purchase a Firewire card? or is it just Vista. Please help as i have 6 tapes from a Florida holiday to edit and burn to disc.
    Thanks
    Neil

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If your computer doesn't have a firewire port on it, how did you capture the mini DV files before? If you did it via a USB port, your capture can't be very good quality.

Any, why you went to Vista, and not Win 7, also makes me wonder.

My advice:

If you can't upgrade to a new computer, dump Vista, reinstall XP, get a firewire card for your computer, get a firewire cable (if you don't have one), and capture your digital video the right way.

3. nuttyniz

nuttyniz Member

Hi. Sorry i forgot to mention that my previous computer already had a firewire socket fitted and was running XP. My laptop does not and was purchased with Vista already instaled. Sorry for the confusion.