1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Windows was Unable to Connect to MyPC" - Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Beskept, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Beskept

Beskept Member

Sup everyone. I'm having a bit of an internet connectivity issue that I was hoping I could possibly get some help with here. I've searched and scoured the forums but couldnt find anything related to my issue so I figured i'd just post and ask here.

Moving on, here is my problem. Right now i'm running a Dell Desktop (Inspiron), on a Netgear WGR614 v7 Wireless Router. I'm running Windows 7 on the PC as well. I recently purchased an Inspiron 15r Laptop (also running Windows 7), but for the life of me I cant connect to the router. Now there is another PC in the house that is able to connect to the router just fine wirelessly, but this Laptop just wont cut it.

I've got the router set to WPA-PSK [TKIP](also PW protected), but no matter WHAT I do to the router, it wont connect. I've done everything from stripping it all the way down to no security options what so ever, and it still says that "Windows was unable to connect to MyPC".

The Dell Laptop is using a DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card. Have any of you run into this issue that could possibly offer some assistance?

Thanks

P.S, If i wasnt clear in the beginning, this is a Network Connectivity issue that i'm having (Windows not connecting to the network).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does the wireless card see the wireless router or not? are you using windows configuration to connect to the router or the wireless card's program to do that?

3. Beskept

Beskept Member

DDP,

Yes, the card see's the router (as well as several other networks in my area). To connect to the router i'm basically doing Network and Sharing Center -> Connect to a Network -> My Network -> then I get the following message: "Windows is unable to connect to MyPc".

I've even gone to a friends house and I was able to connect to his network just fine.

4. ddp

reset the router to factory defaults being that your laptop can connect to other wireless routers.

5. Beskept

Beskept Member

Wow, just wow. You just diagnosed and answered a question that even the guys over at Micro Center couldnt answer! I thought by unplugging the router from the power source and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes would reset it, but I guess not. At any rate, problem solved, thanks a ton for this.

You have any idea on how I can change the IP Address to this thing? I have it set to dynamic but it still keeps showing up as the same IP whenever I check it.

6. ddp

which ip address are you talking about, router, laptop or desktop?

7. Beskept

Beskept Member

The Desktop's IP. Normally i'd just run a proxy, but those things can be really slow.

8. ddp

are you on cable or dsl because dsl is static & cable is dynamic?

9. Beskept

Beskept Member

I'm using a Cable Modem (Time Warner).