1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows will not respond to my jvc cam

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by born1974, Feb 25, 2006.

1. born1974

born1974 Member

Hello, I can't get my jvc to repond to any of my firewire input's.
    So here's what i've done to try to solve the problem.
    1. full system restore
    2. bought a new cable
    3. installed the dv codec that came with the cam(several times)
    4. checked in the device manager and there are three listings for IEEE 1394. 2 are texas instruments OHCI host controllers and 1 says just says OHIC host controller.
    5. they are all enabled with no conflicks
    6. in the bios IEEE is enabled.
    There are some other little things i did to, but all seems fine.
    One web site said somthing about IRQ settings. not sure what that is. my cam is brand new and has allready worked by imopting video before. My O.S. is Win xp pro sp1. And i have tried sp-2 also, and nothing. Please help me befor i lose it. Thanx big time.

2. born1974

born1974 Member

I just want to add a few things. I switched my IEEE card to slot 1 and moved my audigy sound card to slot 3. i heard that slot one is shared or somthing like that. I also updated my motherbaord chipset to the current version. I must note i have 1 firewire port on the motherboard 2 firewire ports that plug directly to the motherboard, it take up a slot but don't use the actual pci slot, just cables. I also have a pci card with 3 firewire inputs, that's the one i switched to slot 1. And my SB audigy has one firewire port in the front and one in the back for a total of 8 firewire ports spread across four devices and not a one works. and it is not the cable or the cam. If somone can figure this out they will be my new best friend. in the meantime i'm starting to pull out hair. Thanx again.

3. born1974

born1974 Member

Tried some more things, still don't work. Please help!

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

5. wheez

wheez Member

Many JVC cams require the texas instruments chip to work correctly. Not many motherboards have that. If your PCI card does indeed have the Ti chip then the following should work.

1) In device manager uninstall all three entries for 1394 controllers.
    2) When rebooting enter BIOS and disable IEEE on the motherboard (the PCI card will still work)
    3) Windows should detect the card and install the necessary drivers. Microsoft driver works fine. Should be no need to manually install any drivers.
    4) Open device manager and verify that under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers you have only one entry: Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.
    If this is the case you should be good to go.

Warning- if I have guessed wrong and it is the motherboard with the Ti chip then you'll have to try disabling the card or something similar, but hopefully that is not the case.

Btw, I have a JVC camcorder with a Ti chip PCI 1394 card on XP sp1 and have encountered no problem.

Good luck,
    wheez