1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINDOWS WMV CONVERT VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by 32Degreez, Dec 13, 2003.

1. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

Ok I've been around for a while now. I've learned a LOT here at afterdawn. I havent felt the need to post until now.
    There has got to be an easy way to burn wmv files to vcd. I've made a dozen coasters trying to burn wmv vcd's. I've converted the wmv files to mpeg and burned with nero to ño avail. I've finally downloaded tnmpgnc or whatever it's called and I'm goin to now convert he mpg to mpeg-2. Hopefully this works.
    WMV files I download from the internet are what I want to put on vcd. I use adobe premiere 6 to create movies I made from my sony dv camera (with firewire).
    This is just a frustrating process to burn (s)vcds from windows media. Does ANYONE know an easier way? After I successfully figure out how to achieve my goals I will definitely post my procedures here. In the meantime, can someone tell me/us how they burn wmv files please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I hate WMV files so I convert them to AVIs, this is just an extension of the same project but works more reliably than going the straight route:

1. Open TMPEGenc
    2. Drag and drop the WMV file onto it. If you get an error at this point then you gotta fix that first before you move on.
    3. File --> Output to File --> AVI --> If the movie isnt really long, dont bother giving it a codec, otherwise, give it a codec and set the compression (reccommend XVID/DIVX)
    4. When you are done, press CTRL+W to bring up the wizard and use the AVI file you use made for encoding.

For more info on encoding to (S)VCD with TMPGEnc: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43085

For a complete listing of almost every codec required to watch a movie and the order to install them in... pay a visit to http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

3. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

sorry I forgot to mention earlier that I did convert the wmv files to avi with Fx video converter. I tried to burn with nero and made a coaster. So I downloaded tmpgEnc and converted the avi files with it...still no luck on burning a successful vcd or svcd. My sony dvd player DOES support vcds because I am playing a vcd someone gave me, and the dvd player says on the front it plays dvd, cd and vcd. I know I'm missing a step here. My eyes are burning from searching the forums on solutions. I think I need a step by step guide lol (j/p, I wish!).
    Maybe I need to convert to MPEG-2? On my PC i cannot save MPEG-2 files...only mpg. and mpeg-1.
    Don't let the last sentence throw you off from the topic if applicable lol.

4. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

ok, I am now converting the mpg file to mpeg-2. lets see what happens

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

MPEG --> VCD
    MPEG2--> SVCD

6. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

nero is telling me why i cannot drag certain files over. im experimenting with tmpgenc as we speak. this might be a while. i need a tmpgenc instruction book. j/p

7. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

Everything is burning with nero correctly but it won't play in my home dvd player. when i load it in my computer dvd drive, it does'nt play because I'm only burning data! I think I'm close to giving up for a week until I calm down. STINKIN WINDOWS MONOPOLY!!!

8. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

OK WELL FINALLY I've found a way to burn the files. After coverting the wmv files to mpeg with fxconverter I convert the new mpeg files to mpeg-2 with tmpgenc. My problem has been trying to burn with nero. I used DV Gate to transfer the mpeg-2 files to create a dvd with click to dvd (sony). Man that's a complicated and tedious process.

Problem....I still want to make a vcd. I just bought a new spindle of jensen cdrs. They were only $3.00 after rebates. Yes they're cheap. Anyways, I tried to play a burned audio cd I made with one of those jensens in my dvd player and it wouldn't read the audio cd.
    Do I have 10 successful vcd's that just won't play in my dvd player? Maybe....those vcds I made won't play in my cd or dvd drive on my PC either...they only open as data cd's. Maybe I should try the same process with nero with a good cdr.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TRIAL AND ERROR

I'll get it one day

9. *mizzle

*mizzle Member

nero does act weird sometimes. i've had no problems burning vcds with roxio though. also, some dvd players won't play burned cds EXCEPT for RW ones. try that out.