1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Wont Start

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by LDee, Aug 16, 2006.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Is it definitely not a ram issue?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the ram on another computer to see if problem follows or not. in the bios set the settings to default & see what happens. see if can find original video driver as this only started when trying latest driver.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

With the bios settings to default, the memory check still finds no errors now. I have used both the old and new drivers for the graphics card, same situation with both, thats why I was pretty sure it was a memory problem after all. I don't have another computer to try the ram in, ill have to phone some friends and ask, and check if its compatible, ill get back to you on that, thanks.

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

I installed the new ram (1gb ddr 400mhz), I had already put the bios settings back to ram frequency - auto and voltage - high. It restarted again! So I went into bios, the ram is showing as "1gb ddr 133mhz", why? When its 400mhz? Is the mboard buggered? I went in and set the dram frequency to 400mhz instead of auto and it booted and this is the session I am writing this in now, so I don't have much more experience of this problem with the new ram yet.

So I guess the problem is not the ram then?

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

aaaahh, I just typed out loads of stuff about the current situation and when I got to the end it restarted. I better be quick this time.

I tried to uninstall the ati drivers and reinstall the latest version with the catalyst control centre (usually I dont install this as its annoying, but I thought its possible it could get cranky without it). Computer went weird, first it just wouldnt uninstall the drivers, kept saying it was doing it and to restart etc, then when it restarted, they were there, installed. I tried a few times, same thing, pc restarted a few times during this and froze on the "windows is shutting down" screen. So I just installed the new drivers and control centre from the ati installer package. Installed, restarted, then there is an ati check thing, at the end of that I got the error "an external component has thrown an exception".
    Ever since this problem started some graphics modes(?) have not been working properly, for instance when a file is playing in media player, if I double click on the visualisation to make it full screen it doesn't work and media player tells me to try setting hardware acceleration to full, which it is. This problem has been there both with the old drivers and new, the old ram and new. OK I just tried it again, and this time it worked! This is the first time in weeks it has worked, um, I don't know what to say. The session before this one (the one that crashed) it did not work...
    The computer is still not stable and windows is not starting properly without the usual jiggery pokery. The most annoying thing isnt that I bought new ram cuz its an upgrade anyway, its that now i have no idea what is causing the problem.
    Like I said before, I replaced the fan on the graphics card a while back, but these problems were present before the fan went (although I only replaced the fan after it started making noise, its possible that it wasnt working correctly before it got noisy). Is it the graphics card? Is there any tests I can do on the card?
    Also why was the ram failing tests then passing them? I think I'll put the old ram back in and use the modified settings for the time being, system seems to be more stable that way anyway. I am really stuck, I don't know what to do now. Any help much appreciated

Cheers

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

sorry to post again so soon and so many times, but I'm just trying to give as much info in one go.

Something else that's happened for no apparent reason is the red windows security alert is in the system tray now, saying I dont have virus protection, which I do. My anti virus settings or programs have been changed at all. This happened after installing the ati drivers and control centre.

I'll also let you know how I generally get it to boot incase theres any clues in that. I know it's a bit weird but it's the only thing I've found that is to my disposal. I have to boot to the ubuntu disc and run the memory check, I have to leave it until its done at least 10% of the memory check then press esc to reboot, then windows starts. If I reboot after like 8%, windows doesnt start.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you try the videocard in another computer? do you have or can get a spare drive to load windows on as an experiment?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  8. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Try the generic (Microsoft) drivers for the graphics card. Your resolution choices will be limited, but it will let us know how the card is performing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  9. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Are you still getting the two BSOD errors?

STOP: 0x00000074 is sometimes caused by two ntldr's and ntdetect's.

Words "nothing to do with RAM" edited. :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

11. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Ok, ok, nothing was a bad word to use. :D

Should have said, "sometimes it is caused by..."

But, RAM isn't the problem so I'm assuming two ntldr's and ntdetect's is a problem.

12. LDee

LDee Regular member

I cant think of another computer that I could try the card in sorry, nor do I have a spare hd that I can load windows onto. um, but i guess i really do need to try the card in another pc, ill have to find a way to do that...

I am having trouble finding the generic drivers, keep ending up back in ati's driver download section. They will be on the xp cd? Anyway, I dunno if I'll be able to remove the current ones, that didnt work last time.

No I havent seen a BSOD for a while, since I changed the ram settings and cleaned the contacts first.

As for two ntldrs and ntdetects, are you saying I have this? How and why did/could that happen?

13. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Go into Device Manager and uninstall the card. Reboot. The generic drives will install automatically.

14. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I'm not saying you have two of 'em. I'm just saying it's a posibility. It is caused by dual booting meaning Windows installed new one's but, you still have the old one's in place. I'm not sure how to fix this other than formmating the HD and I'm sure you don't want to do that, but it is looking like that is the way you'll have to go.

15. LDee

LDee Regular member

I don't have a dual boot setup, I recently formatted and did a fresh install also. Is there a possibility the old ntldr could be left behind? Um, but are these restart problems characteristic of 2 ntldrs? And the way I have to tinker with the ram settings to get it to boot, would that make sense with this hypothesis?

16. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Yes, they could have been left behind. I'm not familar with this, I just searched your BSOD errors and read that two ntldr's and ntdetect's could be the problem.

Sorry, but like I said, I don't really have a solution for this besides formatting. You say you can enter Windows by doing some tricks. So, my advice would be to save all your data, format and do a clean install. By the size of this thread I don't think you have many other choices. That's just my opinion on the situation. ;)

17. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for your input noibis, but I'm pretty sure a clean install of windows won't solve this. I have just done a clean install and the situation was the same before during and after.

There are 2 ntldr's on my pc, one in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and the other in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\2cf41f1db14bc8f414e16e1555b77108\backup
    I guess that's just a backup and this is normal?

Today the screen went black for a while but the computer did not restart, when I restarted it after being unable to get anything back on the screen, it would not start even after doing the usual things. Then I booted to ubuntu, restarted then windows and it worked, I'm in now. Does any of this bear any clue as to what could be happening?

18. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Ok, so you have already formatted? I must have missed that post, sorry. The backup I would think is normal. Even if not, it's a backup and won't run 'cause of the extension. So, it has to be a hardware problem.

I'm out of ideas...this is a odd problem! Sorry, I couldn't be of more assistance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  19. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yes I've already formatted. I thought it's probably a hardware problem too, although I don't have a clue what.

20. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello

found out the graphics card is buggered, the chipset failed a test at a place I brought it to and didn't let a few pc's boot, so I bought a new one will fit it soon. Still wondering if this is the reason that the new ram I bought (1gb ddr 400mhz) is was showing as default in the BIOS as 133mhz? Anyway I'll see if anything changes when I fit the new card and will post back soon. I guess if it shows as 133 again I'll set it manually to 400.

Cheers!