1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Wont Start

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by LDee, Aug 16, 2006.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

I fitted the new card which is an nvidia 5500 256mb ram. Nothing changed, still restarts when xp should load, can't get into any advanced boot options including safe mode. A BSOD comes up for a second but I couldnt find a setting to change in bios to make it stay for long enough to write down the error. If changing the graphics card didnt help why was the other one broken? Was it just a coincidence or will the problem with the system break this card also?

So far I have done a clean install of windows, changed all possible problematic drivers, changed the ram, changed the power supply and now changed the graphics card. Nothing has helped.

Could it be something to do with a short circuit? Some part of the mboard touching the case or something else it shouldn't? Is the mboard likely to be broken?

Please help.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Sounds like a mobo problem to me, judging by all the hardware problems you've had so far.
    It might be shorted out somewhere, or maybe it's not properly grounded.
    Is there a lot of dust in the case/on the mobo ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for the reply

there is not a lot of dust inside the case or on the mobo, I've cleaned that all out a while ago, it's very clean now. I don't know how to check if it's not grounded correctly or if there is a short circuit?

I would really appreciate anyones help with this issue!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the motherboard out of the case as that will tell you if grounding problem or not especially if not touching the case at all.

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello

I've now tried the mboard out of the case and the same problem remains. I had the mboard sitting on the anti static bag it came in. The only devices connected at the moment are the video card and hard disk (apart from ram, cpu, mouse and keyboard) and the same sitation remains. By the way I am using the new video card (nvidia gforce fx 5500). The mboard is an asrock p4vt8+.

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

I will try disabling the ati services again (which I guess should still be attempting to start up since the card wasnt uninstalled, rather I just had to remove it because it was broken and hence couldnt boot to windows without a graphics card). I would try doing a repair of windows but I dont think the installation would complete, like last time when I did a clean install. Anyway I've already done a clean install and checkdisk and scanned for errors on the disk, so I dont think its a disk or os problem. I'll report back what I find after trying to disable the services in recovery console.

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Ok, i missed that you had replied back..
    From what i can tell without having a look at the mobo, i'd say it's gone FUBAR.
    You can try and mess with the windows install or other hardware, but i doubt that that will change the situatuion.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

Someone else has suggested I format the disk with the manufacturers diagnostic utility and write zeros. You think this would make much of a difference? Also I'm not too keen to do this since there is a bit of data on it I would like to get off first. Would it be a problem to plug this hd into another pc in order to recovery the data? Considering it is the current system drive? Would I have to do anything to any of the boot.ini's?

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If you plug the drive into another computer, you can then just get the data off of it, no problem.
    Again, i think the problem is your mobo, not the other hardware, but if you want to try doing this, go for it, and i hope it'll work, but again, i doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006