1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP bad boot while loading

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NITRO1250, Jan 22, 2007.

1. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Hey,
    I have a quick question that I am sure there is a simple solution. My question is that when I boot up Windows XP Home Edition SP2, it BSODs and restarts again with the BIOS screen and then gives me the black "windows did not start correctly" screen with the options Start Windows Normally or use Last Good Configuration (or something like that). Starting normally will only induce the same problem again while using the last good configuration will allow me to boot to Windows successfully. I'm sure this is a quick fix, but I can't think of the solution right now.

Steps that I took to "try" to fix the problem:
    -Registry Mechanic full scan
    -run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs

System build: totally custom built
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Fransisco w/ 5500 rpm heatsink
    ASUS A8N Premium SLi
    eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS + ATi Sapphire Radeon X850 XT (yes, in the same computer; nVidia TV out stinks, but ATi rocks with it!!!)
    1 GB Corsair RAM
    4x HDDs (one 160GB, three 320GB; total 1.12TB)
    2x Cooler Master 6 HDD coolers (primary usage drives)
    ASUS QuieTrack CD Drive
    NEC DVD Burner/Drive
    D-Link Wireless Networking Chip (for network surfing)
    2x PSU's (primary 430W psu, secondary 350W psu modded)

Now, before your get your panties in a bunch, I have a new PSU (600W) coming in tomorrow with dual 12V rails for both video cards. Just recently (when the problems started), I had my primary 430W PSU start acting strangely when it would shut off suddenly at night and then start up again suddenly. I figured it was just old age (had it 2.5 years) and ordered a new one. Then the booting problems happened. I am somewhat sure that it could be a PSU problem, but I though I would ask some experts to see what they say! Thanks in advance!

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Boot to safe mode. Turn off the auto-reboot after BSOD...post back the error code.

3. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Thanks. Will do when I get home from school. Oh, btw, how do I exactly turn off auto-reboot? It has been a while since I did that...

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab. Click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Uncheck "Automatically restart".

5. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

I will add the error message once I put in my new powersupply tomorrow to see if that is the problem. When I listen, I can hear my ATI card powering up and that is when I get the memory error. It could be a lack of power altogether, but if the problem persists, I will post either an image (digital picture) or the error number. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  6. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

what sorta error you getting? your fan could of chucked it and it could be overheating and cutting out. possibly your hd where your version of windows is stored?

7. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Sorry, it is not the HDD fan. I have the CoolDrive 6 HDD coolers for my primary and secondary hard drives. It has a warning beep if it gets hot inside plus I have auto shutoff (no reboot, no error messages). Plus, the devices have LCD screens which give me readouts of my fan speeds and temperatures.

8. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Sorry for taking along time getting this up. My new PSU came mere hours ago and it is finally installed! Well, here is the picture of what comes up when Windows tries to boot. It says that it is a reg error, but I gave my system a clean scan with Registry Mechanic. Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

9. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Anyone?

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Ouch.

My guess, would be the fact you used Registry Mechanic. Iolo has great intentions when it comes to wiping hard drives with Drive Scrubber, but it's Registry Mechanic can wreak havoc if it deletes registry entries that are still in use. What's known as a "false positive".

Any time you use a registry cleaner, you have to pay strict attention to what files entries it brings up in the lists. There may be tons of them, but you have to be sure that no entries listed are for valid applications or system drivers.

Now, your particular error may be due to file system corruption, or faulty hardware. The registry is trying to read a corrupt entry and fails.

You could try booting with your XP CD, going into the Recovery Console and running CHKDSK to try and fix the file system. If you've installed any new hardware, remove it and restart the system to see if that fixes it.

If all that fails, you might have to do a completely new format and installation. If XP setup will not let you do a new install, you'll have to wipe the drive of all it's partitions first.

11. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of doing a repair install, but CHKDSK sounds much better! I user Reg Mec alot and after it fixed my computer in the beginning, I stopped checking what was in the list thinking my good fortune would come back! I guess not... I will give it a try when I can.

12. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Two registry cleaners I know from experience that have never giving me any issues on any system and any OS...are RegSeeker and CCleaner.

13. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

Thanks dude, I am going to update to those right away!!! The only reason I bought Reg Mec was that it was rated the highest from PCMag. I guess there is a bug in their new program...

14. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Well...those two progs are free!! Sometimes the best comes free...and if you really like them, you can always donate to help the programmer's continue improving the program.

15. NITRO1250

NITRO1250 Member

CHKDSK didn't work. Any other suggestions? Microsoft is being less than helpful when I searched out the error message that it gave me... Thanks in advance!