1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Boot Problems

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Scooot7, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Scooot7

Scooot7 Member

My computer is running Windows XP. When I restarted it, I get a message that says "BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". This sounds like a pretty easy task, except that I don't have a system disk. I must have forgot to make a rescue disk in my haste. When I bought the computer, I was told with the new feature of restoring the computer from an earlier save, that the new computers didn't have a system disk with it. What can I do without having to go out and buy a new XP operating system disk at the store. Thanks.

2. John375

John375 Guest

When rebooting, press the DEL button. . . this opens the Bios menu. . . Press down arrow to get to second entry. . . Then Enter. . . Check to see what the order of bootup is. . . If it is set on Floppy, you get the request for the boot disk insert. . . You want to set it to boot from the hard disk. . . Try that

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Make sure your hardisks are plugged in all the way
    2. Make sure your hardrive shows up somehwere on the boot-order list.

4. John375

John375 Guest

I think you have a virus. . . The last big virus, the "Blaster worm", going around left that message . . . You are also on the hit list now, unless you install the Blaster patch. . . Even if you re-install Windows, as soon as you connect to the Internet you will get hit with the Blaster worm again. . . You need to get rid of the virus and apply the Blaster patch before connecting to the Internet. . . Patch is available at Microsoft's site . . . Use another computer to get the patch

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2003
  5. John375

John375 Guest

You can also do a Google search for Windows Boot disks (or just Boot disks). . . There are at least a half dozen sites where you can download Windows Boot Disks for all the Windows versions . . . Windows XP uses six Boot Disks. . . These are installation Floppies, you will need the WinXP CD with them, and when installing WinXP, you will have two choices - -Repair the existing WinXP or Re-Install WinXP. . . The latter wipes out everything on the hard drive, losing all there

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2003
  6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Negative. That was not what Blaster worm said. It said something along the lines that a critical service has to be shut down and the machine needed to be rebooted. This is a hardware issue.

If you dont realize it yet, this is one of those cases where people say their harddive died hehe (kinda like what just happened to me 4 hours ago hehe... 70GB gone). If you have some fancy toys you can try to recover stuff but dont count on it. Make sure that all the cables are plugged in properly and such but odds are you just need a system format.

7. John375

John375 Guest

Praetor - - You are probably correct on the Blaster worm. . . But there have been variations on that Virus, and for safety he needs to Virus scan his HD's using the latest updated Virus Definitions

I had a HD go bad on me. . . Data transfers, one drive to another, just got slower and slower over a few days, eventually taking hours to transfer a few GB's . . . If you can get the HD working, and can not copy all of it, try Runtime's GetDataBack, as this once saved the 50GB I had on a 80GB HD

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2003
  8. Scooot7

Scooot7 Member

I just got back from a week long cruise for the military, let me try a few of the ideas to see what happens and get back with you on it. Thanks.

9. cooljoe6

cooljoe6 Member

Nobody has mentioned this but....you could be getting that messages due to a problem with the master boot. Viruses are good at causing this problem. I use a windows 98 booot floppy to diagnose problems. They all give you access to your pc via msdos. You can fix the MBR this way and reboot to see if it worked using the FIXMBR command..it worked for my problem. But if not then you need to make a Windows XP floppy set, it will automatically repair any startup problem.
    My bro has a new pc with Windows xp Home - worst system I have ever used, then again every Microsoft factory installed OS is terrible. I have used every OS created and have to do a major overhaul to get it working flawlessly and secure. The newest Windows xp has big flaws and has a big door wide open saying' come on in virus!' Anyone who disagrees with this just doesn't know what I know. I run Windows 2000 Pro and have ZERO problems and can run any program GUARANTEED. I do endless security tests trying to screw it up but even I cannot cause any problems.
    Normally you have a recovery cd to at least troubleshoot startup problems but Micorosoft eliminated that thinking they could stop piracy (laughs). They should at least enclose a floppy set -OR- info saying to make some. They must think there new XP is invulnerable. There is absolutely no way to fix your problem without trying 20 different approaches.

I THINK YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE BY GOING TO WWW.COMPUTING.NET AND TYPING KEYWORDS AND CHOOSING WINDOWS XP AS THE OS. THAT'S THE BEST SITE ON THE NET FOR PC PROBLEMS. I OWE 1/4 OF MY KNOWLEDGE TO THAT SITE. GOOD LUCK. OVER AND OUT.

10. Scooot7

Scooot7 Member

I have not had the problem since I started this thread. I did a system upgrade that microsoft offers on Windows XP and also did a system scan and defrag. When I got back home, I changed the bbot order in my BIOS to boot the HDD first. I don't understand why it has the Floppy drive first as default, but that's the way it always seems to be. I also like Windows 2000 Pro because it is a very stable and secure OS, but I have not acquired it and tested it on one of my three CPU's to see how I like it for home use. Thanks for all you help.