1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP boot up problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Ringoj321, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Ringoj321

Ringoj321 Member

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but I've got a problem I hope you can help me with. My PC won't boot up, whenever I turn it on it goes straight to screen that gives you the choice to start up in safe mode etc. I have tried booting in all the options available but, it won't load up it just keeps directing me back to this screen!

Ive tried the following actions to no avail

Booting from recovery XP CD although I'm not really sure what I'm doing.
    Tried removing the CMOS battery (not sure if it had anything to do with it but thought it worth a try !)

None of the above have worked so I'm hoping one of you guys can help! I really don't want to do a complete reinstall unless I really have to as I've got a lot I stuff I don't want to lose!

Thanks for the help guys

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

your data won't be lost if repair function is used from recovery cd or you use a linux live cd to transfer data you want to keep to another drive if reformat is only option,to me it sounds like a serious corruption has occurred in the registry or the boot record is shot,the boot record is an easy fix & is the only part i can advise on.
    1-boot from recovery cd then let it load
    2-select recovery by hitting r key
    3-once black dos screen appears you'll need to select C i think you type 1
    4-type fixboot hit enter (you may need to enter password if you have one )then y then enter
    5-type fixmbr hit enter then y then enter
    6-type exit & comp will reboot with any luck you'll boot to xp (remove disc of coarse before hand) if not you'll have to use recovery that means selecting the first line "setup windows" once that screen loads select REPAIR only,it will mean you have to reinstall all your 3rd party software but your docs will be intact all data is left so pictures,movies etc will still be there

might be best to skip the setup windows REPAIR option i mention in No6 until someone with more knowledge pops in

3. Ringoj321

Ringoj321 Member

Unfortunately that didn't work.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Doesn't leave many options apart from either the non destructive repair in option 6 but before doing so i'd run a live cd of any free linux OS like puppy or toorox or ubuntu or knoppix to transfer any files you want to another drive,then proceed with repair

5. joefxstc

joefxstc Guest

Put your XP CD in your DVD or CD Rom, then reboot.
    Nope, you've got it on the NUTS, my friend. Do what this guy says and you'll be fine.