1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Help with folders

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by KB8, Jul 4, 2007.

1. KB8

KB8 Member

Here's my problem...I have different folders that I put a whole bunch of pictures in and every time I open the folder up the pictures always open up in a slide show format. I have to always right click in the folder and select either thumbnails or tiles. Is there any way that I can set up all my folders to either open up in thumbnails or tiles automatically? I'm running Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

by default windows xp only saves the folder settings for only 50 folders, to fix your problem you need to modified your registry as follows, I do this on all my windows xp installations. Anytime you work on your your registry, it's a good idea to back it up (creating a system restore point or something similar).

Change folders settings for Windows XP so that it will remember a larger number of folder settings.
    Regedit:
    1) Run Regedit
    2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    a. If not present, skip to #8.
    3) Delete subkey BagMRU
    4) Delete subkey Bags
    5) Look for ‘BagMRU Size’ key (space between words)
    6) If not present, create new DWORD value from the edit menu, called ‘BagMRU size’.
    7) Choose Decimal for value, and enter the number you wish to save (e.g. 50000)
    8) Navigate to key ShellNoRoam? (should be right under previous Shell key), and repeat steps 3 through 7

sounds harder than it is, but works good. this is the only way that I know to fix this problem.

3. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I had this problem also. I assume from what you said that you know how to set the view for an individual file.

Open one of the files that has the view you want.

Then go to "Tools" at the top of the page.
    Select "Folder Options"
    On the "Folder Options" screen go to "View" tab.
    There you will see at the top a button "Apply to All Folders" . Press that and then a confirmation screen "Yes".

And that view will apply to all folders next time you open them.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

I tried that fix before, but once you reach the default limit folders settings that can be saved, all folders will revert to the default large icon settings. The only thing that works is the registry modification.

link below goes more in depth on this problem.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1018607864

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

jony218

I am not disagreeing with what you say, as it seems you know more about this than me.

But, either I am not completely understanding you on this or I am not having that problem. I am sure I have over 50 folders on my computer and the new ones added still show the tiles view that I selected as above.

Well, if I do see a problem in the future, then I can use your registry modification.

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

jony218

I did not know how to edit the last post so put up a new one.

I found this article at Microsoft support and it says the data is limited to 400 folders. Maybe that is why mine still works.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812003

7. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

jony218

Sorry, another post.

This page at Microsoft support says the issue was fixed with service pack 2. I checked because after looking at my computer and external HD, I saw that I had more than 400 folders.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711/

I noted the article link in your post is from 2002.

8. jony218

jony218 Guest

I have been using windows xp pro sp2 for a while, and I have had to use registry editing on it. I did do some checks, and did find out that the default setting is now 5000 instead of 400 (I checked it on a new installation of windows xp sp2). From my expierence if you use the same computer regularly without reinstalling windows at some point, you will eventually reach the 5000 folder limit. I have my registry set to 50,000
    without any slowdown on my system. On my original post I was wrong on the default being 50 (actually it was 400"sp1" and now 5000"sp2").

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Thanks jony218 for clearing that up.

Since I have an external HD with all my music and videos etc, there is a good chance I'll be getting to that 5000 mark.

I have bookmarked this page so when I have the energy I'll make the change. Might as well go with the 50,000 as it works for you.

Thanks again.