1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rubglo, Apr 17, 2005.

1. rubglo

rubglo Member

My PC has started to crash as soon as I enter my user name and password. On the screen is displayed the following message:

Winlogon.exe - Application Error

The Instruction at "x10001a15" referenced memory at "0x012of000". The memory could not "be read".

Any suggestions please?.

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

It would seem you have a corrupted Windows file that is essential for logging on. Either Spyware/Virus/Mother Technology could have caused this. My only suggestion? The dreaded... reformat.

3. rubglo

rubglo Member

Thanks Toiletman. Trouble is though - will reformat cause me to lose any stored info. I have pics that I had not got around to storing to disc?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you hook another hd temporarily & use it in safe mode to pull info onto the new hd??

5. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

You could try a repair install. Or you could install over it.
    Did you try logon in safe mode?

6. raffs

raffs Regular member

First thing if you have a spare HDD or if a friend has a HDD hook it up to your machine,(with your original HDD as a slave and the new one as a master/primary drive) and copy across your pics.
    Then go into BIOS and set your PC to boot by cd. Using your XP disk you will get an option to install windows, use automatic recovery or repair a windows file already set up, try and repair the windows file.You most likely wont lose info if you are repairing a previous instalation but not worth the risk! If you do a new install you will lose info so take care