1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp home problem

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by redice, Aug 31, 2008.

1. redice

redice Regular member

i have a friend that has windows xp home and they are getting a blue screen with win32k.sys or something like that. they were told by dell that there windows os need to be reinstalled to fix it.

however they have thing on there that they need and have no way of backing them up. so is there any way to fix this with out loosing everything?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try to post the exact error message so can find out what it relates to.

3. jony218

jony218 Guest

If they have an external usb drive they can use the free "paragon drivebackup express" and use that to backup the hard drive.

But in most cases windows can be fixed. I would try and do a chkdsk c: /f on the hard drive, that can usually fix any system file corruption and get the computer to bootup again.

Also try moving the ram memory module to a different slot. Maybe try a different video card if you have one laying around. Sometimes the blue screens are caused by a hardware/or driver problem.

There are many things that can be tried to get it fix. But I would try and do a chkdsk c: /f first to rule out that the system files aren't corrupted.

4. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks for the help. they found another hard drive to back up there stuff to so they just wiped the os clean and reinstalled it.

5. redice

redice Regular member

ok i am with another computer that has a windos xp home problem. here's the error it gives when it comes on.

windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

could not read from the selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.

side note its a dell dimension 2400.

is there anyway i can fix this without having to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall windows?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  6. ddp

boot off the xp cd & select repair then type chkdsk /f

7. redice

redice Regular member

ddp thanks but come yo find out from the person they had a lot of virus so i just wiped it out. In this case a fresh install was best but i will try the chkdsk /f next time i could across a problem like this again. ( hey you learn something new every day)

8. ddp

teach & learn.

9. redice

redice Regular member

thats so true

10. redice

redice Regular member

i have a computer that will load up to the windows xp user screen ( where you pick the name) but when i click on the name it freeze but sometimes it loads up to the desktop then freeze.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Is this something that just started, out of the blue or did you install something new? If it comes up in safe mode, it's more than likely a driver issue. It could be a Trojan too, depending on how good your Anti Virus is. First thing to try would be to remove the last thing you put in, either software or hardware completely and remove it's driver. Then see if it works.

The XP repair is an iffy thing as it depends on whether any service packs are installed with the XP install disk or not. If you had to install a service pack from a different source, the repair won't work and it will ask for the original install disk containing the service pack. I've yet to be able to do a repair because I have the original XP-Professional CD with no service packs. I also have the one containing SP-2, and I can do a repair with it as long as I don't put in SP-3, otherwise I can't. M$ is a PITA!

Regards,
    Russ

12. redice

redice Regular member

Russ

it just happening out of the blue and i have not install anything new.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    Sounds like something got corrupted then. I very recently ran into a problem where XP-Pro seemed to be running fine, but if you installed a new program, it either failed the install or just didn't work at all. Since all the programs I was installing have always worked in the past, I wiped the drive and laid in a new copy of XP-Pro and it was fine. I tried to install XP-Pro without wiping the drive with Killdisk, and the Windows install BSOD'd on me, so it had to be some sort of corruption that was on the drive or the Master boot Record itself. Everything installed and worked without issue after that!

Russ

14. redice

redice Regular member

ok thanks russ and i new that would be the case but i just wanted to check before i did it just in case there was another way.