1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP MCE 2005 and All in Wonder 9600

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by bobiroc, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Missingxt

Missingxt Member

ohh you poor people how can u live with Media Center after microsoft treats you like this, in case u havent figures it out yet. Heres the skiny it turns out that microsoft has been working on something very divious on its new Media Player 11, its called DRM. In Media Center Edition Media player is going to play a very important role in deleting recorded material after 3 days without any consent and it will also infect your media with DRM to hear more about it just look Media Player 11 and you will think twice about using media center becuase who knows what other stuff will happen, they might disguise a patch as a critical item and stick with drm without knowing

2. Missingxt

Missingxt Member

one last thing i forgot about media player 11
    it wont let you back up your licenses any more so if you loose your
    music your f'd you have to buy over again

3. stollery

stollery Guest

DRM has been around for a long time and is nothing new. It's easy to work around if you're using XP and/or MCE, but Vista is going to be an OS that's going to a problem for many who use their computers for backing up DVDs, etc.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's why if we upgrade to anything, it will be a linux distro.

5. stollery

stollery Guest

Which, of course, is a personal choice, but most assuredly, not for the masses.

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that remains to be seen, as linux is getting easier to use, the masses are getting more tech friendly, and MS is becoming evermore oppresive.

7. stollery

stollery Guest

Well, let's put it this way. I've owned my own computer business for nearly 19 years and I'm still shocked by the number of folks who don't believe they need an anti virus program. Hell, mention a firewall and they run screaming from the store. :) Further, when I show them my Linux box they act like they've just stepped into the Twilight Zone. :)

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol...on a college campus, i'm having trouble finding these people. they're valuable business! easy money, if they'd just dare to come out of their molehills.... :(

9. Missingxt

Missingxt Member

Well i remember those days in Win 98, but even now in XP i dont use anything, I myself have never been infected but thats because i can tell right away when something is wrong but i see the all to common worms still hit XP. I love how Bsd and Linux redistribute new iso versions every few mosnths (4-6 months) while im still strugling and streamlining and calling microsoft everytime i install windows, witch its all to often that ntrld and hal.dll disapear or exeptions that just require a fresh copy of XP

10. stollery

stollery Guest

Well I have to admit to being shocked that anyone on this forum would say that they would "know" when they were infected. Having personally done more computer repairs in a week than the average customer will see in a lifetime I assure you that you cannot always "know" any more than the rest of us when your infected. Worse, why would you want to know "after the fact" that you're hosed? By then it's often too late. A number of viruses are designed in a stealth mode and have no negative impact on a computer's performance just so they can remain hidden. Heck, I run 6 separate utilities on my machines trying to keep them clean and even with that in mind run into occasional problems. Just the other day I found a key logger buried so deep on a customer's machine it took me nearly two hours to find it.

So you've never been infected or attacked? Amazing.................

11. stollery

stollery Guest

Missingxt - Well I have to admit to being shocked that anyone on this forum would say that they would "know" when they were infected. Having personally done more computer repairs in a week than the average customer will see in a lifetime I assure you that you cannot always "know" any more than the rest of us when your infected. Worse, why would you want to know "after the fact" that you're hosed? By then it's often too late. A number of viruses are designed in a stealth mode and have no negative impact on a computer's performance just so they can remain hidden. Heck, I run 6 separate utilities on my machines trying to keep them clean and even with that in mind run into occasional problems. Just the other day I found a key logger buried so deep on a customer's machine it took me nearly two hours to find it.

So you've never been infected or attacked? Amazing.................

12. Missingxt

Missingxt Member

well u dont really need a virus scanner to find most problems
    you just need some basic tools and knoeledge
    things you should look at are task mainy unusual or suplicate and of course where they originate from
    then u have to look at the services make sure nothing is weird
    and of course turn them off!!! you dont remote registry or messenger or print spooler (its not like i print 24 hours a day) or themes even 80211g services if u dont need them dont use them but the most inportant is you have to know what ports are open and why how many process u normaly have running and resources at a given time you know ive never gotten aids either and its for a reason safety and of course use firefox and linux as much as you can although that doesnt justify the $250 spent on Pro

p.s. sorry to get off topic but i really do think microsoft droped the vaseline with on the DRM issue and it doesnt matter that fair use programs remove rights

13. Missingxt

Missingxt Member

one more place u need to look at is the registry