1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xp - Need Pc to operate more efficently.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Enigma_returns, Jan 29, 2016.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Well, aldan, I'm proud of my assets also but, at my age, they just don't seem to 'stand as proud' as they used to.. :(

2. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

3. attar

attar Senior member

Untitled 11.
    Make a backup image of the system drive before using.

Enigma_returns likes this.
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2nd that attar.

5. Enigma_returns

Enigma_returns Newbie

thanks guys for yer input.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

just a quick note.. with only 512 give sabayon a miss.. it's like solaris.. needs a gig to be any use..

mint might cope (tho maybe picky and a bit slow) even with xfce .. I would "brew up" my own from a core system and add only what's needed.. with twm etc..

just for fun I'll sling up a similar specs beastie tonite and see what can be homebrewed.. only big problem for me might be needing to rely on "borrowed" internet.. so wifi drivers essential :D

just noticed.. it's a hated emachine.. surprised it's still working in any way.. honest opinion.. it can't have seen much use.. scrap it before it gives up the ghost.. most unreliable things on the planet

7. Enigma_returns

Enigma_returns Newbie

Have to say, it's served me well over the years. And the performance has slightly improved. I'll buy a dual core at some stage, but for now, I'll have to plug away with what I've got. Thanks anyway for your input.

8. ddp

i'll be upgrading a customer's computer from 1.6ghz Celeron dual core with 1gig of ddr2 ram with xp to socket 1150 dual core 3.2ghz with 4 gigs of ram running 32bit win7. the reason for the 32bit win7 is because of her dos programs she is still using. the customer is at least in her 70's if not early 80's.

9. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

DOS programs are still used today?
    Question:
    Why upgrade it if DOS is being used? I mean who has DOS apps that use 4GB of ram?
    Sorry about the trolling comment. If it is for business and in DOS. What a minute. Some people swear by the old MSDOS wordperfect program because it is like a super terminal.

Oh and from what I know. Microsoft XP works best with DOS apps. There are some apps that juse won't run in Windows Vista and above because there is a thunking problem with direct hardware access from 16bit to 32bit hardware.

10. ddp

it is for personal use & browsing the net plus facebook. the dos programs is to do with sewing & recipes. her recipe program does work in 32bit win7 as I tried it on this computer but will not work in 64bit as tried it on my laptop.