1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Non-Legal With Auto-Update Will Clear HDD?

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by Xmonkey29, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Xmonkey29

Xmonkey29 Guest

Hey its been a while since i have been on afterdawn but i have to return to ask a question now im betting that some of you who are reading this are using Windows Os's and im betting that a large portion of you who are using Xp did not legally buy it. This is okay because comon windows 200$ for a OS yeah right so alot of people just get a pirated version or a backedup one.Now what im hearing is if you hae your auto update on and you own a non legal editon of xp it will clear ur hdd or something else i heard this about a month ago and i havnt had my updates on since now im almost ready to take them off so.... my question is is there anyone who doesnt legally own windows and has there automatic updates on and are ok? thanks p.s i dont pirate companies and i usually support all good work of the programmers but for 200 dollers it was a little expensive.

2. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Well first of all you should be legal! No it wont wipe your drive. But you might have problems downloading Microsofts updates as it checks to see if it has been activated and that the license key your are using is known to be legal or not...

If you dont want to support Microsoft or pay $200 then go for a free way like Linux... : )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
  3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Windows XP OS can be purchased for under $100 at Newegg.com as an OEM product along with a minor purchase of just about any PC part, even one for less then a $. And I disagree that most here use pirated Windows XP OS.

4. noFreedom

noFreedom Member

even if it is pirated you can still find ways around the activation ie patches and restricted downloads with tools like key changers

5. Xmonkey29

Xmonkey29 Guest

Hmmm what linux do u speak of cause if ur saying red hat its not free and i dont know of many free linux os's windows runs all teh games i have so u know alot of people pirate xp.

6. noFreedom

noFreedom Member

there are more versions of linux other than redhat one is ubuntu and thats completely free you can either have it partitioned or run with a live cd

7. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Their you go, thats cheap for XP! : )

Yes their is loads of Linux versions that are free... You are correct in saying that you have games that will only work on XP though...

But just because their is a lot more support for games and many applications on windows doesnt mean that people will pirate XP!

I think $100 is cheap for what it is and what it can do for you... : )

8. RavenLife

RavenLife Regular member

i USED to own a pirated copy of xp.

i got sick of all the errors when reinstalling so i bought it
    from over clockers for around 90 quid i think.

no problems now

and i don't have to f about to update

9. noFreedom

noFreedom Member

its not that but with pirated xp versions of course ur gonna run into errors but just when you over protect urself you cant go wrong i have 3 fire walls and both notons an mcaffe protections and all i can say is just think about what u install before you install it

10. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

3 Firewalls!, Norton and Mcaffe! LOL you are cautious! : )

11. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

Firstly I would agree with what has been said about the cost of the operating systems. I got XP 64 for £90 from Overclockers in the UK, so you should be able to find a cheaper copy. But from my own experience with XP there was never any need to use updates, as the base version was more than stable, plus driver updates could always be found at manufacturers web sites. If all you are worried about is security updates, then just use add on programs instead of the inbuild MS ones. Personally I never use Windows firewall or virus protection.
    If you are really bothered about getting the latest media player etc... then you'll just have to except the cost here is an example of XP home for $70 which will get you legit http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Windo...189731693QQcategoryZ41887QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem