1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP on a CD with no HD support????

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by Colemanvt, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Colemanvt

Colemanvt Member

Ok fellas I've seen something kinda strange but really really cool and this could be old news to some but I just kinda thought about looking into it.
    Last semester this guy that works on my schools network pulls me aside and says hey look at this (I'm on the schools webdesign team which really consists of my sittin on my butt for a block a day but anyway)
    Anyway he throws a cd in a computer that has 98se on it and it brings up windows xp pro he tells me to lean down and listen to the hard drive I do and the damn thing hasn't even spun up. His copy of xp run solely on the damn CD-rom. He hasn't had it with him since and I wanna get a copy of it and being in Alabama and how poor the state is he probably won't come to work on the computers for about another 2 years. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard/seen this thing before and if you have it how could i get ahold of it?

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

There is a special version of Windows called Windows XP PE (Preinstalled Enviroment) that is only available to large enterprise customers and manufacturers. It is more or less a test version that boots from cd and runs in RAM like you described so that the manufacturer can test that their hardware is going to work ok. I haven't ever used it but it is the same principle as one of the live Linux distros, Knoppix, Mandrake Move, etc.
    There is supposed to be a way to make your own, instructions at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    I have never tried it though.

3. Colemanvt

Colemanvt Member

Wow thanks for the info I would like to do it but I bet it's really complicated and I'm really lazy :-D