1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp or vista

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by fionn000, Jan 14, 2008.

1. fionn000

fionn000 Guest

I have windows vista home basic on a 64bit computer should I leave it or install xp 64bit or vista 64bit my computer is compaq presario f500

2. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

If i were you i would stick with windows XP. Vista has many known bugs and glitches yet to be fixed. Plus, XP has far greater support for all software and games. When i had vista, barely any of my games worked, and my fave software wasn't supported by vista so i went back to XP pro.

3. seb32

seb32 Regular member

XP is better, for the reasons that NatmanH said, but some new games are coming out Vista-only. You could do a dual-boot; there's a guide on this site somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. fionn000

fionn000 Guest

so I should install windows xp but which a 32bit or a 64bit

5. steimy

steimy Active member

I would go with the standard 32bit version myself. The only real need you could have for the 64 bit version is if you needed your system to recognize more RAM then 4GB, which is the limit of the 32 bit version. But 4GB is plenty of RAM to run anything that a normal PC user would need.

6. ugc

ugc Regular member

steimy>

would 64bit XP be any faster than 32bit XP on a 64bit machine?

The reason I ask, I do a lot of video editing, and was thinking of trying the 64bit version, thinking I would gain speed.

What are your thoughts on this?

7. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

wel with your CPU (the AMD i think) it would because it was moreless built for it

8. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Please keep in mind that some application will NOT run on a 64 bit operating system. You might not be able to install and run all your programs. Stick with XP 32 bit to be on the safe side of things.

9. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Yeah your right thrers was alot of issues with it anad my software !

10. fionn000

fionn000 Guest

Thanks but will my computer be slower if I have a dual logon screen having vista and xp both installed.

11. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

No i personaly right now am running XP-pro SP2 and VISTA ULTIMATE and the only slower it will make it is now before it boots you have a selection of oporating systems so choose from just make shure you have enough HDD space you'll be fine.

12. seb32

seb32 Regular member

How big is your hard drive?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  13. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

I have a few but the master of all is 160 Gig so i have 2 80 Gig partition's for both oporating systems. But like i said i have a few there also the same drives (WD SATA 160 Gig) and i keep all my installed programes and personal info on them so if the time comes where i have to reinstall anything i lose nothing, and if you are going to do something like this then take my advice and install xp first then vista that way you wont have to mess around writing the boot sector for XP , it can be done but much easier this way!

14. fionn000

fionn000 Guest

I have 100gb HD If I installed winxp with dual logoin screen would I have to uninstall win vista 1st tankx 4 the help

15. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Well if you don't have 2 partitions on that single drive you will need to delete the 1 partition to make the 2 you will need but you can use a diff HDD drive then you dont have to mess with any of this but if you already have windows vista installed and you have 2 partition's on the drive then just do as i have done tis a bit tricky but just leave it if your not shure !!!

Boot up your computer with a Windows XP install CD and install Windows XP to a different partition or physical drive OTHER than where Vista is installed. When the setup is finished, your computer will automatically boot into Windows XP. Don’t worry, Windows Vista is still on your computer if you correctly installed XP to a different partition or physical drive.

When you installed XP, the Vista Boot Manager was replaced by the Windows XP boot components. The Vista Boot Manager needs to be fixed by using the Windows Vista install DVD. Boot your computer to the Windows Vista install DVD , click Next on the regional settings screen and then click on Repair your computer in the lower left of the window. Select your Windows Vista install and then run the Startup Repair. This will fix the Windows Boot Manager and Vista will once again startup automatically.

Now we need to add an entry to the Windows Boot Manger for Windows XP. This is done through Windows Vista. When you are back in Vista, open an administrative level command prompt window and run these commands:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"
    bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot
    bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
    bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast
    Reboot your computer and test out the new boot menu.

now you can continue the install of Win-XP ......but if you ask me on a decent computer it takes less time to do 2 installs then this way ...lol And remember this worked for me but if anything take this as a start in the right direction have fun !

16. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

[Post Deleted]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  17. fionn000

fionn000 Guest

thanks for help but my laptop came preinstalled with vista I dont have vista dvd.

18. edh151

edh151 Member

Before you jump and switch over to XP from Vista I suggest you go to the compaq/HP site and read some of the help forums there. there are a few people who have had problems switching from Vista back to XP. I don't know if they were trying a switch like you were contemplating or trying to undo an upgrade.

19. onetimeb

onetimeb Member

I want to know if anyone knows of a place where I could find a valid micro office pro 2003 cd key?
    THANK YOU

20. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

you will not find an answer here. requesting / linking to pirated material is strictly prohibited. please check the forum rules in my sig ;)