1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xp Pro password problems. Please Help !!!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by numnuts87, Feb 13, 2007.

1. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

I'm fixing my friends old laptop which has XP pro on it I restored it to a state where there was a different user name and password , now my problem is I don't have the password and neither does my friend. His copy of XP pro it not available to do a reinstall because his car got broken into and his CD case with all his music and software got stolen we need to get into this computer to access some information is there any way to get by the Password screen ? Can someone please help me ?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

I'm having problems doing this I've made the boot disc but it doesnt seem to work. can someone guide me through this process ? or maybe help me with another question ? I work at Staples the store and I do tech work I have had a laptop returned which is a Toshiba A105- series , the customer put an HDD password on it and we would still like to sell it we have had it for awhile and there is no way of contacting the customer.

4. ddp

is the password in the bios or hd? if hd than why not do system recovery?

5. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

the toshiba will prompt for an HDD Password before the boot starts, and the other laptop I'm working on is not working right with the pw recovery

6. ddp

the toshiba has a password in the bios not hd. check toshiba manual or site on how to get rid of that. besides main laptop battery to run laptop, there is 1 if not 2 batteries for cmos so find them disconnect for a few minutes & reconnect so can see if still has bios password.

7. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

it says eneter user HDD password on the Toshiba , have you done the first recovery on an old laptop with Xp Pro would you mind helping me out ? I follow it all and do it right but when it asks me to to save I say yes and save but it brings me to as screen witha bunch of commands I'm confused could you walk me step by step on msn or something ?

8. ddp

9. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

any way to do this without a cd drive i know it's anciant LOL but the laptop has XP pro with no cd drive just a floppy and some usb ports , I really hope i can get this to work

10. ddp

get an external rom drive because if need to reload windows, you need a rom drive.

11. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

I was hoping to get it to either work or install Ubuntu as I'm a fan of it , now is there any way to boot off a flash drive ?

12. ddp

depends on the bios if has that capability.

13. numnuts87

numnuts87 Regular member

the laptop is really old , how would I know ? and I also have a Dell in which the hard drive is not being booted up correctly I think it's the hdd is it possible to swap hdd's with the two laptops ?

14. ddp

go into the bios to see if has that option. will probably have to reload windows if xp if switching hd's if motherboards' chipsets are different.