1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp re install

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nigeljkuk, Dec 30, 2004.

1. nigeljkuk

nigeljkuk Guest

Hi , I hope someone on the forum can help me, I recently made a backup of one of my own dvds it didnt go as smoothly as usual , however eventually I got my copy done , I then started to experience problems with my pc, the printer refused to print , after a re install using a ghost 2003 backup all was ok for a while, I then changed my hewlett packards colour cartridge only to have my pc lock up and behave really weird,no re installs from backups would cure this , anytime I used the printer it would go through the motions to print then do absolutely nothing except lock up , Thinking spyware or that my pc had somehow picked up anti copy software or spyware I did all the normal checks using spybot , spysweeper and adaware plus, nothing , I then resoretd to removing all traces of hp software off my pc , All returned to normal operation, but I had to clear 101 left registry entries off my pc left behind by the unistall, I am going to buy a new all in one lexmark against my better judgement as I dont like things that are multitask but I figured that less conflict problems, Anyhow I have thought long and hard and decided I want to do a totally fresh install of windows xp, I have the os disc and key etc , service pack 2 cd , but no service pack one cd , I have downloaded avg 7.0 and kerio afresh I assume that my old keys will work , as the original downloads are really many downloads behind now and not really viable to protect the pc, so i need help with step by step how to reinstall from scratch , I have been sensible enough to keep my operating system on drive c , all my downloads are on another 120gb hardrive d ,I have re installed 98 se on a friends pc but i know xp is a different anim,al, being new to pcs I know i can reinstall over the existing setup , or reformat the c drive, what I am unsure about is how to keep my modem drivers etc as I do not have the original modem discs, Will windows detect the modem automatically or is it something I have to do beforehand? I also havent got my isp password anymore only the dialup number and have really no idea how to access these , searched the net and all i could find was loads of info way too much on sp2 and none about sp1 or a simple reinstall Is there anyone out there with patience and understanding that can help , I am not pc savvy but I did manage to fix dso exploit myself i was delighted and it would be fantastic to be able to progress that bit further with a full re install

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you got legit xp # don't worry about sp1 as can do update from microsoft but will be slow due to your dialup. was problems started with sp2 as there have been problems with it. download all new drivers from manufacturers

3. nigeljkuk

nigeljkuk Guest

Hi my xp cd is legitimate not a copy , All my problemswhen I used any dvd and dvd2 to copy /backup one of my own dvds , thats when the printer and all my dvd software as well as the pc locked whenever I used the printer , I couldnt clear the icon nor contents of the printer all was basically dead! so not best pleased I uninstalled the printer totally, I have got most of the stuff i need to reinstall just dont know the order of things to do them in, as I am a newbie i dont know how to find out vital things like password login etc I dont have modem cd and although I have checked system info it simply lists it as an intel no details , It did dawn on me that I could get sp1 off the net , it was the worry if I do format my c drive and I cannot get the modem back in operation then ive shot myself in the foot , the pc is working now after 8hrs working non stop , Im getting new printer tomorrow hoping that will solve my problems, if not and it still locks up then a full re install is on the cards , A friend of mine suggested i ditch xp and she would send me some upgraded version of windows , a pirate copy but I declined as I cannot see the point of paying for a legit copy or messing with alternative virus software avg 7.0 suits me ok, Anyways I still would appreciate step by step details of a reinstall , that I cant make a mess of Ha HA ! seriously though thanks for your reply its appreciated

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take the modem out of computer see what info on main(center) chip, across top & maybe label on backside