1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Service pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by kiwi1, May 14, 2008.

1. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Well so far it messed up my avg and thats it and I think it speeded up some things a little we will see if that last.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If you feel like checking out some other freebie security software
    www.spywareterminater.com/ : realtime spyware scanner & noitfy's if anthing try's to intall itself,does'nt apear to affect system performance even when scheduled scan starts

avast free antivirus : not sure if i like this as it scans everything when launching an app & can slow things down a bit,not by much still annoying ..lol..

comodo free firewall : only been using this for a few days so far tho all i can say is wow & it's free..lol..,i originally tried it early last year & did'nt like it,this time however they've made massive strides & i'm most impressed

3. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Just to let you know, a friend of mine was using sp3 and having countless problems. He was able to remove it through add and remove programs and the problems stopped, no need for system restore.

4. pspimp

pspimp Member

I installed sp3 and had a couple of issues like it not installing without a couple of fixes. Then I had abrupt crashes. After a restore and reinstall now it seems to be back to normal. If I had read about the problems before hand I wouldn't have bothered. It's too much hassle right now, best to wait 6 months for sp3 fix LOL.

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I think I'd pass on installing SP3 right now. It's installing fine for some and causing countless problems for others. As said,the best bet is to take an image before it's installed. From what I see, System Restore should work but leaves a lot of junk behind which only a satisfactory install of SP3 can correct. Here's just one thread for HP, Compaq Presario owners: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20445806-XP-Home-SP3-cannot-boot-up-after-installation (follow link in link) and there's no end of others.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. whittier

whittier Member

Unless you install the upgrades, your computer will have serious security vulnerabilities.

At least 75% of XP users that installed SP3 experienced no difficulties. The key to success is to familiarize yourself with the update, and follow Microsoft's pre-installation instructions. Some useful guidelines can be found here:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guidelines

If you have any problems with SP3 installation, Microsoft offers free technical support.

Good luck!

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah free microsucks technical help, when their software causes your problems to begin with. Like the Doctor that gives you penicillin, forgetting you are allergic to it; and then wants to treat your anaphylatic shock caused by his f-up. LMAO Thanks guys for the page of info. I'm working fine with XP pro SP-2. I'll not be installing SP-3 at all, especially with the phone home drms and all.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

whittier, get that link out of your sig ASAP!
    3. Providing affilate tagged links to products or services is not allowed.

9. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

I thought that was a given with any windows product.
    How many of that 75% are not computer savy enough to realise why they are having problems or that anything is wrong at all?

10. whittier

whittier Member

I removed the link and won't replace it. I apologize for breaking the rules: It was my first post and there was no bad intent. In general, I'm well behaved...

11. whittier

whittier Member

Using a Windows computer is like living in a high crime neighborhood: You're never safe.

I've installed SP3 from a CD on 20 computers and have not run into any problems. Of course, some systems required a few hours of preparation (remove conflicting AV programs, remove malware, backup files, update to SP1, etc.)

12. djkinky

djkinky Member

SP2 on XP Pro
    My old Gateway Intel Mobo fried and I found it cheaper and easier to build my own PCan XP Pro SP2 OEM install, mostly because I won't buy into the whole "Vista" concept.. I chose to avoid it after buying a laptop with Vista, and I wish I never bought it. Everyone in the PC biz will tell Vista is great because they have no choice. My first build and I'm happy all works well.
    I will NOT be installing SP3, now or ever! "If it isn't broken...why fix it?" Life isn't always like a box of chocolates, sometime you Do know what you're going to get.