1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP SP2 SVCD Problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Icemonkey, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I just tried today to play a SVCD disc and MPEG-2 file on a Windows XP SP2 machine for the first time and after installing an MPEG-2 codec all I get when I try to play is a black screen with the drive clicking away. If I try in Windows Media Player 10 I see "connecting" at the bottom and it just hangs for a very long time. Has anybody else had this problem and is there a fix other than reverting back to SP1?

2. REL1203

REL1203 Member

I to am having this same problem... Any help?

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I don't have XP but if you read in WMP help it says that maybe you need some extra stuff installed on your computer. I haven't understood which stuff it is, since I don't watch the movies on my PC, but probably your MPEG-2 codecs aren't enough.
    To keep things simple (and stupid), why don't you use a CD-RW to watch the SVCD on your DVD player?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem. My PC is my DVD player. I did find that I can play them with Power DVD but not with any other media player. Ultimately, I would like the ATI media player that comes with the All-In-Wonder card to play them due to the remote control features.

5. Vassar

Vassar Guest

Same problem Windows XP Media player 10 will not play SVCD. Does play with Roxio Creator 7 player which burnt the SVCD. Gave copy to a neighbour who made it work by downloading a codec? from www.skynet4ever.tk, but did not work on my Sony RX306, picture horizontally squashed, which changing setting put right, but stuttering sound.