1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp updates

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by millrz, Nov 22, 2005.

1. andersg

andersg Regular member

Hoe exactly do you use this thing?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when in windows updates page & you have a choice of custom or express, type this line in the address bar [bold]javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')[/bold] & press enter. than select either custom or express.

3. andersg

andersg Regular member

GeeStar20,
    You told me about the Windows Xp Service Pack 2 for IT techs earlier.
    What is the difference between this one an the regular one.
    Will it make any difference on my computer?

EDIT: Damn,
    There is always something that goes wrong. I finally get someone to help me with the SP2 Problem I had and now I dont got enough space on my computer to hold it when I tried to save it off the M$ site!. Right now I am on the crappy computer. The problem is I got Windows Xp SP2 upstairs but I cannot run a cable down to hook it up to this computer downstairs. All I wanna do is get the program off the Xbox site so I can get the Xbox Media Center thing on my new Xbox360. All I have to do is get Windows Xp SP2 on the computer long enough to get the program and then I can put back on the smaller Windows 98 like I had before and it works perfectly. It have everything I possibly can get off the computer deleted already except for windows XP itself, all I wanna put on is the service pack 2 thing and it wont fit!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

It is no different then the one you would get if you were to get it thru Microsoft Update !

This downloadable exe is if you have to do more then one PC like in a shop or on a Network and you do not want to be online for 20 minutes for each upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  5. andersg

andersg Regular member

yeah but the windows update is telling me I need other updates and not giving me the update for SP2.
    I could have it if this dumb computer could hold it in the memory long enough for me to get it

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

When you at the Microsoft Update site -- you have the choice of taking the EXPRESS or the Custom way !!

Take the Custom -- this will bring up a list of all the updates your PC is missing -- and ask you to tick the one you want. The SP2 one cannot be downloaded with any other, it takes almost 20 to 30 min depending on your connection speed !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2005
  7. andersg

andersg Regular member

I Finally got Windows XP SP2 but there had to be a catch,
    When I finally got it I found out that when you have SP2 the xbox360 only lets you stream music from your PC to the Xbox and save the songs onto your HDD but you need Windows XP Media Center Edition to actually be able to record and rewind Live TV like I was trying to be able to do.
    Now I got to go out and pay extra money to get Media Center Edition and I dont think it is worth it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  8. andersg

andersg Regular member

OK, I got another question now,
    Do you need a Media Center PC to have Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition?

9. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

i read a little on this thread and would like to offer some help to some of u having trouble getting your updates through microsoft . disregard if it was already mentioned (sorry not trying to be a no it all just trying to help) microsoft tech support guided me through this process by phone and it works great . what i did was open up explorer and hit the tool tab then selectedmanage addons then selected add ons that have been used by internet explorer and then scrolled down till you find windows genuine advantage then tick it and select disable and then apply or ok and thats it . no u can the updates u need . like i said microsoft guided me through the whole process step by step they even helped me out with other issues i was having .if this helps great . i no most of u already new about this i thought i would add my 2 cents im trying to get rid of this newbie title . thanks

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

actually that was a very good point which i had forgotten........

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ tbiggs, many thanks for that tip! Mine works a treat now!

12. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

what i have heard is even though there may be issues with windows keys -microsoft still is obligated to make updates available to every machine that needs them . im asuming for security isseus. thats why the tech walked me through the cheat.

13. akuma96

akuma96 Member

there is a way to up date the xp with a file called Windows.Genuine.Advantage.Validation.v1.3.272.0 that are on p2p sites ...i tried it " to see if it works " and it does even if the old bootleg of xp and the dvd xp i hope this help up out the file size is 508 kb

14. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

i wouldnt trust much of those small files in p2p but if it worked great . just remember microsoft designed that validation to catch major pirates . all they are hoping for is a call from you when your validation dosnt go through to find out where u got that copy of windows from . they will guide u step by step to turn off that validation tool so you can get the updates. therefore there is no need for any hacks or cheats.

15. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

so, tbiggs you had a legit build of XP and still couldnt update? Or did the rep just help you bypass the wga? :p

16. tbiggs

tbiggs Guest

what i did was buy the corperate xp version and loaded it up on 4 systems and all went well . a buddy called me in mid summer looking for a hookup so i loaded xp on his system and all went well till i went to windows update and the validation did not pass so i called microsoft thinking i was legite ( i thought corperate was unlimeted activations and its not) told the techy what i did and how many systems i loaded it on and he kindly explained that i am to call microsoft and purchase seperate keys . with a chuckle he then instructed me how to disable the windows validation so i could finish the updates we needed.