1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinDv can't find DV output pin on camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Kurt.be, May 4, 2009.

1. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

I am trying to get dv tape from Cannon HV30 onto my laptop via firewire. I hev tried this before using Windows Movie Maker, which works fine, but it gets the file in a microsoft format. Therefore I took the suggestion from this forum and gto Win DV. However WinDV keeps saying it can not find the DV output pin. Google-ing this gives a lits of other people with the same problem, bu no one seems to have an answer. Somehow I would have expected to find the answer here, but the forum has no mention of it. Can anybody help?
    Greets, Kurt

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Did you turn the camcorder on before you loaded up WindDV?

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

When I used WinDV, that was the only way I could get it to work. LOL!

I tried loading WinDV first, and it does not work, unless I have my Sony set for playback.

4. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Thanks for your try. If only life was that simple...
    No, I have tried quite a few thigs so far. Cam off-on, re-download WinDV, reinstall, reboot... Nothing. Surfing the net has brought about quite a few people with exactly the same problem, but nobody seems to have a solution. There is nothing wrong with the cam nor the cable as the whole procedure works like a charm under Windows Movie Maker. So it must be software related.
    Anybody have another idea?

5. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

What OS and service pack are you using?

6. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Tnx for your reaction, I use Vista and WinDV 1.2.3.

7. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Have you tried this?

Shut off computer and camcorder.

Hook cable to camcorder first and then computer.

Turn on camcorder.

Turn on computer.

After windows loads, is the camcorder found?

Also, what camcorder do you have?

8. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

thanks again,
    I have tried all sorts of sequences.

The camcorder is a Canon HV30, High definition, video tape type.
    It is recognised by Vista, and I can tranfer tape with Windows onto the hard disk. It saves it in a windows format however. That is why I want to use WinDV.
    So it is not a hardware problem as the hardware does the job. It must be software related... I think...

9. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

If you go into tools in Windows Movie Maker, you can change the format that it can be saved.

Did the camera come with its own software?

Also, WinDV has a pull down menu on devices, have you tried that?

10. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

oh yea, save as AVI.

11. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Hi, Thank you for your reaction. In the Windows Movie Maker in Vista, I can only save files in *.MSWMM. No other option available.
    Also tried looking in tools, but this does not offer a solution either...
    Greets, Kurt

12. varnull

varnull Guest

WinDV .. the clue to it's crapness is in the Win part of the name... try the capture part of nero 8 and see if that works on your horrid OS

13. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Tnx, Horrid as it may be, -and I quite agree-, I moved back to WIN, as Linux (Ubuntu)could not handle the laptop, nor the camera. I gave it 3 months to get it to work, after which I switched back to Windows. That at least works, albeit in a way I wish it wouldn't. I have no budget to install Nero. I have an older version here somewhere, but would like to copy my HDvideo tape to hard disk, and only do that. WinDV claims it does it and does it good. If only I could make it work. Somehow I get the impression that nobody actually knows how to solve this one.
    Greets, Kurt

14. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Hi, I spent another afternoon googling and searching the net and have come up xwith the following 'half' solution. Apparently, AFTER editing a tape, it is possible for Windows Movie Maker to save the resulting file in different formats. Capturing is only possible in MPG2, and saving only in the dedicated windows format. Untill I find a way to make WinDV run, I guess I will have to do minimal editing on the tapes and save them as AVI od MPG2 files....
    Untill, perhaps Ubuntu is capable of working on my laptop, and recognising my cam...

15. meykabe

meykabe Member

Hi,

I have just bought a firewire cable and am trying to capture my videos from my mini DV camcorder to my Windows xp pc.
    I have just downloaded WinDV and i am getting the same problem - it says CANNOT FIND DV OUTPUT PIN. i have plugged the cable into the i-link (DV) in my camcorder which is the only place the pin goes!!
    OR is it a DV IN? can anyone help please!!

16. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Maybe you have a bad connector on the camera...take it a camera shop and have them check it out.

17. varnull

varnull Guest

Yeah I do .. and when windv and things like pinnacle refuse to work with some odd piece of hardware nero8 capture normally does the trick (it's the only bit of it I think is any good.. amongst the bloatware a little gem). We see all kinds of cameras and formats on a daily basis.. so we know.. anyway.. who buys nero??

as for all this odd hardware and firewire and everything else.. RTFM is the best suggestion, then try a different wire XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  18. meykabe

meykabe Member

thanks for that,

now i am having another problem!! well its been a while since i used to copy mutimedia from my camcorder to pc. Since i have upgraded my pc and stuff!!
    My Windows XP pc doesnot seem to recognise my mini DV camcorder! As soon as i coonect both with even a USB cable a window pops up asking to search for the driver!! As i understood drivers are not required for windows XP! am i right?? If it does i don't remember where the old driver is!! can ianyone help .. my sony camcorder is a
    DCR-HC30E .

thanks a lot!!

19. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

You need the USB driver for the camera. Doesnt the camera have firewire?

20. Kurt.be

Kurt.be Member

Meykabe, it is near certain that it is useless to check the camera for a bad connector. This is almost certainly a WinDV software problem. I surfed the net for weeks, loads of people have the same problem. But a lot of them have no problem when using other software. If your cable connection is bad, no software, not even Nero can repair that. If it works with another programm like Windows Movie Maker then there is nothing wrong with the camera nor the connection. Under XP I had the same recognition problem. Only via Firewire though, The USB connection recognised the camera but only for pictures and not for video. I could not connect via firewire. Ever. It took another computer and Vista to solve it. Afterwards WinDV still had the 'cannot find pin' problem...
    ANd nobody in the (internet)world seems to be able to solve it.