1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINDVD Creator sound sync problem

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by gwilson, Jan 2, 2005.

1. gwilson

gwilson Member

I am using WINDVD creator 2 that came bundled with my computer. I have sucessfully transfered hours of vhs home movies to DVD only to find the the audio starts off ok and then gets out of sync worse as it plays. I have heard that adding chapters might help. Anything else? I can't believe this is the way this program always works. I think they have done something to it to make you buy the latest version!!

Thanks in advance.

2. Juliebean

Juliebean Member

Has anyone emailed you a response? I am having the same problem and Intervideo won't help and HP is completely clueless. If you get a reply can you email it to me? Thanks!

3. kcheng

kcheng Guest

I also have the same problem with the sound/audio out of sync using WINDVD creator 2. I'd tries almost everything, download the latest software, firmware, etc. it still out of sync. The first half hour is fine but the last hour is off. I about to return the converter, please help.

Thanks in advance.

4. Juliebean

Juliebean Member

Okay, I figured it out, it shouldn't have to work this way, but it does. Basically you need to edit your movie into 20-30 minute segments. I also titled mine differently for the chapters, but I doubt that has anything to do with it working. I chopped my 2 hour video into about 6 pieces and it is sync sound the whole way! Hurrah! Let me know if it works for you.

5. mannooss

mannooss Member

Has the last recommendation been working for everyone? I've been having the same problem too. Unfortunately, breaking it up into segments hasn't been helping.

I've been in touch with HP people who tell me this is a very rare issue. They've had me re-install my tuner, try 'newer' vcrs and even check the SLP vs EP vs SP issue. Still the audio continues to slip out of sync with the video.

I've tried different wires (coaxial vs. the split one) and still no luck. The odd thing is...if you play a commercially purchased SP video tape through WINDVD creator: the sync is perfect.

Any one else have any ideas?

6. aidoc

aidoc Member

Guess it's not that rare a situation. I'm experiencing the same audio sync problem with WinDVD Creator 2 (as it came bundled for my HP computer). I tried splitting the video into 5 minute "chapters", but still no luck. It still tends to get out of sync after 5 to 10 minutes.

7. mannooss

mannooss Member

I got it with my HP too.

I'd go to Intervideo to ask them for help...but apparently, they do not offer help if you aquire the program from a bundle.

If anyone finds a website that has an answer for us, please post it. Thanks.

8. gwilson

gwilson Member

After days of messing around with different things, I have found that the video must have all dead spots removed. By dead spots I mean any blank frames where the camera was stopped and started again. Something about these blank spots cause the sound to lose sync with the video. I have found that the easiest way for me to do this is to split the video into scenes of one minute each. Then use the slider in the preview pane to fast forward to watch for the breaks. By left clicking the mouse I can advance or go back frame by frame to split the video and delete the bad frames. I can do a 90 minute video in about 45 minutes now. It is tedious but it seems to be the only way! I can't complain too much since I'm too cheap to buy any other program! Good luck to you all!

9. Juliebean

Juliebean Member

That stinks that it's not working for you. One more thing to try is to upgrade to Windows Service Pack 2. It's free and available on the Microsoft site. HP recommended I do that and I did and then tried reburning and the sync problem was still there, but then when I chopped it into pieces it worked. So..perhaps it is a combination of Service Pack 2 and chopping into segments?

I also finally got a reply from Intervideo after badgering them to help bundled people and they said to split the movie onto different disks. Very helpful. Not.

10. mannooss

mannooss Member

Hmm...almost makes one wonder why they would have sold the program in the first place. If one of the "features" is the ability to burn home-made vhs tapes to DVD...you'd think they'd do it in a way where I wouldn't have to keep breaking the thing up into 1 minute, or even half hour segments.

Is this honestly the best DVD creator around?

11. gwilson

gwilson Member

I am sure it is not the best, but once you get things figured out, it is fairly easy to use. Does anyone know of a better one? Anything similar?

12. pfh

pfh Guest

Hmm..makes me wonder if it's not something with HP and/or the capture card. I also use WinDVD- it came with the Plextor M402U usb capture device I use. I don't have an HP computer and I don't have the sync problems. After capturing to mpeg2, my movies play fine split or not split. I have to agree about Intervideo software though- support for bundle ware is weak! At this point I'm ready to move on to a more powerful program to edit my mpegs so I'm going to try out Womble as reccommended by many ppl in this forum.

13. AIR4s

AIR4s Member

Just read this thread for the first time. I'm just getting started with transfer of VHS tapes to DVD. I am using an upgraded Emachine with a Sony 710 DVD burner. It came bundled with Nero but I also tried to use Ulead Studio 8. The sound seems to stay in reasonable sync for the first hour of the VHS tape, but by the end of the second hour it's a couple of seconds off. About the same result with either program. My set up is an RCA VCR into a Sony TRV80 digital camcorder into the PC via fire wire. I am beginning to believe it is not a software issue but I don't know where to head next. Any help out there?

14. ratlenhum

ratlenhum Guest

I found a solution to the out of sync and am posting in case it helps anyone else.

First off if you have DLA on your computer (software that lets you burn to a CD like directly saving to your hard drive) lose it. Its interfering

also, while you burn, disable any firewalls and virus scan and that's what worked for me

15. AIR4s

AIR4s Member

Since I wrote last a couple of things happened. I found that if I enabled "Auto detect scenes" in the Nero software the sound stayed in sync even after a long(2 hour) capture. I also found that a fresh defrag, even when windows said there was no need, improved things remarkably. Also I found after contact with ULead tech support, that if I go to >run, >msconfig and disable both the services and startup tabs and reboot, there will be a much cleaner capture. Another possible help is to keep temp internet files and cookies to a minimum.

All that said, since all I was trying to do for the moment is archive old family video tapes without editing, I went out and bought a $200 dvd recorder, hooked to my TV and eliminated all these problems. Once there on DVD, I can edit them at my convenience.