1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinDVD & Plextor M402U recording time in Win2k

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by GumShoe, May 19, 2004.

1. GumShoe

GumShoe Guest

I am happy with the Plextor M402U, it captures very nice sound and video from a TV signal. What's more, I don't have to worry about enabling the correct Aux in or Line in for audio recording like I had to do with the TV card. It just captures the program, period.
    However when I tell it to capture for a designated period of time, it will sometimes stop recording partway through, for no known reason. Yes, in WinDVD I have unchecked the box that says to stop recording when the signal goes bad.
    Has anybody any ideas?
    I am in the process of updating WinDVD to the latest version in the hopes that this will fix things. But I suspect it is Windows 2000. A lot of capture programs weren't working in Win2k, some of them even refused to record at all. That's why I dumped my TV card. Perhaps a second computer loaded with Win98 would be an answer.
    My system is a new install of Win2k, 2.6 gHz, 512 mb ram, Asus 9520 vid card, sblive sound card, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, pair of Sata Raid (0) hard drives.
    I am a newbie, so any knowledge you have of Win2k problems with capture programs would be very much appreciated.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Win2000 doesn"t come with the Driver database that XP Has...So if I were you i would Upgrade to XP Not downgrade to Win98 because 98 doesn"t have support for NTFS so you won"t be able to capture files bigger than 4gb ......
    I don"t know why you are haveing Problems with WinDVD recorder but I can tell you that you will capture much better quality useing WinDVR 3.0......Good luck

3. GumShoe

GumShoe Guest

Thanks, Minion, I will consider doing that, perhaps on a 2nd computer because Win2k has been so good to me in all other respects (and secure). I tried WinVDR too, (along with other programs) when I had the TV card in. Different versions of it ran differently, in that some would run oddlyslower than others. But it was the best of the bunch that I tried. It's Win2k for sure that is the problem.
    I would like to end this thread by saying that after installing all the latest updates I could find on the Plextor site that related to this equipment and software, my problem has apparently disappeared. It took this long to determine that because I have been busy with other projects. So far, in the last week, all recordings have ended at their appointed time, and have not terminated early as before. That makes me very happy. :)