1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinDVD will not write to hard drive

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fuller2, Nov 27, 2006.

1. fuller2

fuller2 Member

I've been using WinDVD that came bundled with my Toshiba laptop. Suddenly it will no longer write DVDs to my hard drive. It goes through all the steps and shows checkmarks by the steps but the program no longer funtions, though Windows XP says it is running, and no files are written. I am wondering if there is a companion service or program that it is now missing.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Do you mean that it will no longer burn a DVD? You should not need it to write to the HD. It could be a number of things if it is not burning to DVD. Give me a little better explanation of what you are attempting to do.

3. fuller2

fuller2 Member

Yes, I know its strange, but is to the HD that I'm trying to write. I create several video files including a DVD folder that I archive to a DVD using RecordNow.

Someone was trying to "optimize" my computer and I think messed something up. Afterwards the computer kept trying to install something called "Photogallery" every time WinDVD started up. I restord to an earlier point trying to undo the changes and that install went away, but not the other problem.

Basically WinDVD will go through all the steps of writing to a folder for later use and after the last step all options in the program interface are blanked out as if it is calling to something external, but there is no DVD folder and no files. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete my way out the program to end.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

What OS are you running? What is your Processor speed? What version of WinDVD do you have? With this information I may be able to find an update to WinDVD that may fix the problem.

5. fuller2

fuller2 Member

Model Name Satellite M65
    Part Number PSM60U-0CR021
    OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    BIOS Version V1.50
    CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
    Memory 1016MB RAM

WinDVD Version 2.0B014.368C33 - NEN01

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I found this site with lists of updates for WinDVD. Maybe installing an update to your version will fix the problem. Let me know if that site helps.

7. fuller2

fuller2 Member

That sounds great - I didn't see the url in your post, can you repost it?

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

9. fuller2

fuller2 Member

Didn't seem to match my version but thanks for trying! I'm now looking for my OEM disks hoping I can just reinstall!

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Sorry I could not be of more assistance. Most of the time when you want to transfer information from a disk you can just use the drag and drop. I never use a studio suite to record from disk to the hard drive.