1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wine??

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by u53r_n4m3, Jan 15, 2006.

1. u53r_n4m3

u53r_n4m3 Member

i know that wine is used to emulate windows on linux. does it also emulate windows' folder structures? like the c drive and the "winnt", "program files" and "documents and settings" folders?

cause i tried to install a game on linux using wine. then when choosing a directory to install to, there it had a c drive with the above folders and a z drive which has the linux folders. i sure that i only have one hd and only have linux partitions on it. if this a part of the windows emulation, where on the linux directory are these files saved?

2. dude845

dude845 Regular member

i think wine can install folders but keep in mind im not a linux user and from what i hered it can, but i just as easly could be wrong:p

3. rundata

rundata Guest

wine emulates windows programs, i have never used it, but if its not a virtual machine, then no. I very much doubt it. If you want to have write access to ntfs, its not recommended and im not sure how stable it is... try googling linux kernel modules for ntfs support

4. b0ba

b0ba Guest

Just in case someone doesn't know.

WINE - stands for - Wine Is Not an Emulator.

5. b0ba

b0ba Guest

sorry

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  6. b0ba

b0ba Guest

sorry for the muliple posts... connection problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  7. rundata

rundata Guest

heh nice for stating that.. wine is not an emulator heh, where do they get these names eh? :]

8. DOUGHBOY6

DOUGHBOY6 Guest

I've used wine and it works at the same times it dosen't.

It will run the .exe but the thing is if your OS has the requirments to run it.

I tried installing MusicMatch Jukebox and it would install exept that I don't have internet explorer, tried installing that, faild. :( So if you ask me, dosen't work well

btw, when u click on a .exe it wil ask you with what to open it with then just type "wine", then it will start opening it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
  9. b0ba

b0ba Guest

@DOUGHBOY6

It depends on distribution and shell used. If you will correct MIME types everything will work without typing.