1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winpatrol detecting a program that isn't there.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by x1013x, Oct 23, 2006.

1. x1013x

x1013x Member

Last month I got some virus/spyware that slowed my machine down horribly. I opened task manager and found that at least 3 task managers were running. When I tried to stop them they just came right back. I used Winpatrol to kill this taskmgr.exe program. Doing this made my machine run normally. When I restarted it said that taskmgr.exe is trying to start. It said it was located in c://mpcnd(or something like that)/taskmgr.exe\NOLAUNCHPLAYERS. So I deleted that file and all was fine.

But still everytime I restart my computer Winpatrol keeps alerting me that that the same program is trying to run from the file that doesn't exist anymore. I've run AVG, Ad-aware, spybot, and webroot and they all find nothing. I've even run all of these with System Restore turned off.

Anyone know if this is just a bug in Winpatrol or do I have a bigger problem?

2. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Check msconfig in your startup options to see if there is a reference to the mentioned file. If you don't know how to access it, just go to start->run-> and type msconfig and check the startup tab. If it's trying to run on startup it should be listed there.

3. x1013x

x1013x Member

Ok I checked, and its not listed there.

4. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Ok, my next suggestion would be to check your registry for startup items, do that by checking the following locations:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Look for something resembling this: [DCP] "\mpbdcp\taskmgr.exe" /NOLAUNCHPLAYERS if you see that key, make a backup of your registry and delete the key.

5. x1013x

x1013x Member

Alright checked those areas, and they are clean. Thank you for all your help btw.

6. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

That is kind of an odd problem, as those are the only areas I know of that control startup items are the "startup" folder, and those registry keys. I would suggest maybe uninstalling and reinstalling winpatrol and trying again, it may not have re-scanned everything after you deleted the offending file.
    -EDIT-
    Correction, not the only places but the standard places. BUT, you may also want to run a registry search for mpbdcp or something like that, and see what you can find.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  7. x1013x

x1013x Member

Damn why didn't I think to do try that before. I will try reinstalling Winpatrol. Thanks.