1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinRar compression

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by faggio, Mar 20, 2005.

1. faggio

faggio Member

Hi, i have a file on my computer that is 5.3 GB big. I used WinRar to compress the file to a .Rar format but the resultant file is 4.8 GB. I need to give the file to my friend and i was thinking about burning it on a dvd-r but obviouslly the file won't fit. Is there any way that i can split the rar file without courrupting it, so it fits on two disks? Thanks in advnace.

2. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Thats a rather large file you have there faggio, here yah go

[​IMG]

THen just split it to what you want :-D

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You can with winrar again ! If it's installed on your Pc ; Right click the file you wanna rar and select Add to ARCHIVE --- Look at the bottom of the small window , there is "" split to volume, bytes " that is where you type in 3000m ~~~~.

If your friend has winrar you are done - but if he does not you can also put a tick in ""Create SFX Archive"" and it will make a self extracting archive.

Your friend will have to paste each of the 2 Cd content on his desktop and , click on one of the 2 to reconstruct the file.

Good Luck

Addendum: Oooops , Dude2099 was answering your post while I was typing mine ! -- thats good cause he put up the pic that will clarify things for you !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2005
  4. faggio

faggio Member

hehe yeh i know the file is big, it takes ages to compress :(