1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinRar - How To Automatically Have It Open The Extracted Folder

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jessiediamond, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jessiediamond

jessiediamond Member

The built-in Windows zip program asks if you'd like to see the contents after unzipping them, which I almost always do.

I can't find that option in WinRar. I know I can open the program up, and then do it. But what option do I select, so that when I right-click on the .rar file and choose "Extract To," it will extract the files and then AUTOMATICALLY open up the folder with the uncompressed files in it?

At this point, I have to scroll down in to the extracted folder, open it, and then I'm finally where I want to be: where the extracted files are.

Thanks for letting me know how to do this.

~jessie

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I don't think there is an option in WinRAR to do that.

3. jessiediamond

jessiediamond Member

That's . . . silly. Am I the only one who wants to unzip a file and then see the file? Hmmn. I'd really like to know . . . that wasn't a sarcastic question, just as an FYI. :)

~jessie

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I think that you got a real answer, even though it appears you didn't deserve one. doh!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

watching.

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

LOL...WinRar? Get 7zip; it is free and it is better in every way.

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You did indeed get a real answer - I'm nice like that.

I have both installed for special occasions. 7Zip still doesn't do what she is asking for, though.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  8. Igmutaka

Igmutaka Member

Then how can 7zip open a .rar file?

Noting that a lot of files online are .rar

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

10. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Neat, thanks - didn't know that existed.

12. jessiediamond

jessiediamond Member

I already spent two weeks with a 7-zip programmer who tried at least three times to write a script that would do this for 7-Zip . . . and we couldn't get it to work reliably.

It's ironic that two extraordinary programs (WinRar and 7-Zip) don't offer this basic function. It still seems odd to me, because I can't be the only person who'd like to right-click on a rar file, extract it, and then have the folder with the extracted files automatically open. Isn't that a common desire among other WinRar users?

Or maybe I'm asking for something no one wants or cares about . . . which is perfectly understandable. We all have different preferences, etc.

~jessie

13. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I think you might actually be somewhat unique here. Personally, if I have to choose between being asked every time, or just double-clicking on the rare occasion that I want the folder to open, I will choose the later option. Still, the option to enable this choice should be built into 7zip...the patch has been there forever it seems...I honestly don't know why this is still missing.

As for WinRAR, this program is little more than a scam. I still can't believe that anyone is willing to pay for an app that is inferior to a free app in every way. It is like paying full price for a Toyota when you can get a Lexus for free.

14. Ripper

Ripper Active member

People pay for WinRAR?! As someone mentioned to me, the most likely reason this isn't implemented is because it is open to exploitation.

15. jessiediamond

jessiediamond Member

I mainly am interested in this feature because, let's say, I download a .ZIP file into a folder called downloads, which happens to have 50 folders plus dozens of individual files. So, I right-click on the newly dl'ed .ZIP file, and extract it anywhere, but usually into the same download folder it's in.

With the standard Windows .zip program, I have the option to have it automatically show me the unzipped material. But not with WinRar or 7-Zip. I mean, isn't it odd that the most basic option in the built-in Windows unzip program is missing from WinRar and 7-Zip . . . both of which are hundred times more feature-rich.

Anyway, as for 7-Zip being as good as WinRar, I agree. But, ironically, there was some missing feature in 7-Zip that led me to buy WinRar. Was it that 7-Zip doesn't have a "repair" function for damaged archives? I think so, but maybe 7-Zip has added this function.

Anyway, thanks for the commentary everyone. I'd love either of the programs to add this feature.

Take Care!

~jessie

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It is odd that 7zip does not add this feature; but it is more of a novice feature...thus they overlook it...and thus the inclusion in the windows tool.

As for repair, I know that 7zip can extract non-damaged parts of a damaged archive, and I think it can even be forced to extract the damaged bits the best it can (not that those files will be much use most of the time). From there, you just recompress to whatever you want (even an outdated format like Rar or zip).