1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINRAR locked archive problem,please help

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by davey73, Jun 1, 2007.

1. davey73

davey73 Member

I am trying to add something to a rar file directory, but when I try to drag and drop, WINRAR diagnostics tells me that I cannot modify a locked archive. How do I unlock the archive? When I download the file it comes in as being locked,so I know I am not locking myself. All other RAR files come in as not being locked only this one,why? Please help.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You have posted this in the wrong forum.

The lock archive feature in WinRAR is there in case the person who created the archive thinks that it is important that the archive should not be modified. Maybe you need to think about why it is locked. You do not give any details so I cannot be more specific.

Maybe the maker of the archive wanted to prevent themselves from modifying it by accident.

In any case, you can extract the contents of a merely locked archive, so you can always do that, then add them to a new archive of your own making, which will not be locked, then you can add whatever you like.

Or maybe there is a confusion of words. Did you really mean "locked", or did you mean "password protected", which is something different?

Here are step by step instructions to open a password protected RAR archive:

1. Obtain the password.
    2. That's it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  3. davey73

davey73 Member

Sorry for posting this topic in the wrong forum. I was just looking help with this problem. The archive is a community download where no one else is having this problem and no one there is helping me solve this. I will try to figure out how to start a new archive and put the contents in there. Thank you very much for that info. And again, sorry for the post in your forum.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It's not "my" forum, it's the "User Submitted Guides" forum. Your post is not a guide, so it shouldn't be here. It should be in the WinRAR forum.

5. davey73

davey73 Member

Where is the winrar forum? Would windows softare section be the place. Sorry for being a pain.

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You know, I could have sworn there was one, but I looked and you're right! I guess the Windows software section is the right one, but seeing as you're here, how are you getting on with your problem?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum