1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinRar problem

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by titeo123, Nov 11, 2006.

1. titeo123

titeo123 Guest

I bought a WinRAR version 3.60 on ebay and installed to my computer. The seller said that I only need to copy the regkey file to the installed directory and it will work. I tried to extract rar files downloaded from the internet. Any time I extracted a file, a window popped up asking for the password. I read the Help file and set a default password and enter that password, then the file was processed but there is a error message in the "winrar diagnostic messages" stating that the file I extracted has an error: "CRC encrypted error (wrong password?)". I tried with several rar files from different sources but still had the same problem. What did I do wrong here? Please help. Thanks a lot.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

first off, buying software off of ebay is a major no-no. unless it is in a retail SEALED box that is unopened and unused, don't buy software off of ebay.

I have never heard of having to install a file in the registry key for winRAR. usually all you have to do is install the setup file, enter the key code, and thats it. The version this guy sold you is obviously not a genuine version, and he is attempting to sell a version that is already registered and by adding a file to the registry it will work and not need a key code. as you have found out, thats not the case.

I'm not sure why you didn't just buy winRAR off their website, as it is not a very expensive program, but if I were you I'd report this guy to ebay as selling pirated material, and leave him negative feedback so other ebayers can be warned.

On another note, there are several archiving programs like winZIP and winRAR that do the same things but are free. you can find them on google.

post a link to the ebay page so we can see the item you bought...

edit 4 typo

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Uncompressing password protected files has nothing to do with having or not having a registered legit version of winrar or not though.

@djscoop, not a registry key. A key/reg file that goes in the winrar directory. Surprised that they didn't just sell one of the so called corporate editions.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

thanks celtic, my misunderstanding...say reg and assumed it was for the registry.