1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinRAR problems

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by stevepre1, Jan 15, 2006.

1. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but I'm having problems with some files I have down loaded. These files happed to be in the winRAR format,and they will not extract. It will go all the way to 99% then tell promt.(There is not enough space on the disk-write error:eek:nly NTFS file system supports files larger than 4GB). I don't know what I'm doing please someone help.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  3. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Sincerely. Thank you.

4. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

so I guess what I'm reading is that I have to reformat my hard drive? I'm a little slow with this kind of stuff and especially the lingo. So if that's true if I have to reformat my hard drive, wnat will it change other than being able to unzip this one file. Or am I just missing something, and I can just do this to one spacific file.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Converting to NTFS Using the Setup Program
    The Setup program makes it easy to convert your partition to the new version of NTFS, when it used FAT or FAT32 before. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition).

""Setup begins by checking the existing file system. If it is NTFS, conversion is not necessary. If it is FAT or FAT32, Setup gives you the choice of converting to NTFS. If you don't need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than converting from FAT or FAT32. (Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start fresh with a clean drive.) However, it is still advantageous to use NTFS, regardless of whether the partition was formatted with NTFS or converted. ""

This may have thrown you off track -- what is important is that you have a choice.... you can either CONVERT and keep everything intact --- or FORMAT and loose everything ! The recommendation is if you do not mind loosing the stuff ... Do Format.... If not... do CONVERT.

You do not reformat your hard drive !!

You are changing the file structure on it from FAT32 to NTFS.. it is an easy conversion that does not affect anything on your drive !

It takes less then 10 minutes to do on an average size HD.

Keep on reading on that referral page I gave you --- it explains how to convert and not lose anything doing so !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  6. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

thank you I will try this.

7. bodean500

bodean500 Member

If you have 2 HD you can just format to NTFS one and not the other works great that way!

8. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

quick question. I'm following the steps in on this link that I was given- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx
    I have gone to through to the last step in the command prompt. When I press enter the command prompt states. (the type of file system is Fat32.
    Enter current file label for drive J:
    What does this mean? what lable should I put here? Is it something like new volume, or local disk or, something like that?

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

If you are like most people you didnt give it a name initially , <<smiles>> so leave it blank and just Hit <Enter>

Have a great day!

10. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Even if the computer lables it (New Vomlue) Automaticly?

11. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Or External?

12. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Ok I needed to type in External.